Solo a 15 ft Canoe

I’ll bet you a dollah
that you find it easier to paddle and control from the bow seat facing the stern. Too wide and short and flat to be very stable or effective paddling from a center seat. Besides, then you have to deal with removing the yoke. My yoke is made to be easily removed and it is still a pain in the a$$.

-rs

Shouldn’t have any problems paddling
from the bow seat solo, except when the wind is blowing. Then, you need some weight to keep the “bow” down, or at least kneel to help control the canoe. I have no problems soloing from the bow seat my 17.4" Mohawk as long as the wind is less than 12 or so mph.

OK…
Sounds good… any thoughts on what Canoe it is? also I have started to collect Milk jugs for Ballast.

after some solo practice I would like to run some of the local WW… only 2+ and down really.

does anyone have a good gear list for paddling that setup with the canoe pictured?

Tommy

I’m not a white water kind of guy, but
do know if running white water, I’d be kneeling. Don’t know about the brand, Dagger and Mainstream became part of Confluence. It was my understanding Mainstream was Perception’s lower line, Perception is also a Confluence company. Maybe Mainstream was part of Mainstream at one time.

Thanks
I would kneel if I was white watering… I had good success tonight kneeling as well as turning the canoe around and using the “Bow” seat. after some recomendations from here I have my snap in seat right behind me when I am kneeling to rest my but on. and when on flat water I can sit up in it and paddle sitting… Right now I only have sports knee pads and they worked ok, but I would be interested in hearing other options.

Tommy

I use packing sponge
in my “non-outfitted” canoes. It cushions the knees and soaks up the water, then I squeeze it out as needed. My outfitted oc-1 has foam pads glued in place, to go with the saddle and footpegs, but a piece of sponge about 1’x 2’ suits me fine for general paddling. glad to hear you got out and experimented. It’s what works for you that counts.

Outfitting…
Daggermat,

what all do you have in your “outfitted” canoe? that is the direction I would like to head…

did some more testing today as well. It was really windy and I found that with no weight in the bow I was really blown around. I have some milk jugs ready to fill up.

Tommy

No it isn’t
"outfitting" is a term, in this and most cases, used for whitewater canoes. In my instance, which is typical, it means a center saddle instead of a seat, with grooves locking the legs into position, footpegs to lock in the feet, and large enclosed airbags fore and aft. This style is not comfortable for rec. canoeing, in that you can’t move your legs. The ends are kept light for turning quickly, all the weight is in the center of the canoe. For rec. canoeing, I use my Swift with a kneeling thwart, sponge on the floor for my knees, a paddle and a pole. This allows a comfortable day on the water, some kneeling, some standing, a lot of kidding the kayakers locked into their cockpits. When the outfitted boat is used, I share their pain.(but it’s fun)

Outfitting
I guess I was looking at more of the rec setup. I will not be running enough white water to go all out with the saddle and such.

Tommy

options
I’ve found that a small cooler with a pad on top makes a decent temporary “saddle” for kneeling. Replacing a thwart with a kneeling thwart is another simple way to give yourself more options.

Cooler is cool…
That is a pretty neat idea with the cooler. I will have to give that a try as well.

I found that after about an hour of kneeling yesterday my back(which was injured a few years ago) started to hurt some. so I am looking at a few options. I think I may even have a cooler that will work for that.

Tommy

Saddle in a wide boat?
I use saddles in my whitewater solos which are no more than 30" across. Being locked in place in a skinny boat aids control.

In my tandems I much prefer a bench seat which gives me the freedom to shift to one side or the other as needed. It’s easier to heel the boat and I don’t have to reach halfway across to get a good stroke.

Tommy

I paddle a 16’6" alone all the time…15’ would be no prob

another idea for the future
is to make yourself a pole. I think I made mine from plans tommy c_1 turned us onto awhile back. This lets you stretch out your legs and back and work different muscles. Quite the babe magnet too. Basically a 12’ length of Home Depot closet rod with copper end caps screwed in.

A pole
Do you have a link for directions for that rod? I know river behind the house is too deep for it, but it would be nice to have on the Nanty or some of the other smaller rivers.

Tommy

links
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=555587

…there’s a niche somewhere…

– Last Updated: Apr-19-07 11:17 AM EST –

>Quite the babe magnet too.
......ROTFL.

Make the most out of it T!

Moving a seat for SOLO
I have been advised that if I want to solo a tandem, sit in the bow backwards and Kneel. This sounds easy and efficient to do. Someone suggested I move the front seat 3"-6" to the rear for better weight distribution. Any comments from someone who has done this? I am 5’10" tall, 200lbs. I have a 5 gallon water jug that I can fill with H2O to use as ballast. My canoe is a 16’ Wenonah prospector…Thanks

– Last Updated: Apr-19-07 11:21 AM EST –

mtnesters,
You want to get closer to the canoe's midships, thus I'd move the front seat back(towards the center of the canoe), then get yourself the Voyager grip-foam pad plus another layer of somewhat high-density foam , shave down some foam blocks for your ankles...and kneel, using the new seat position for back brace/seat to rest on. You'll be in a good position for hull-control...imo. Your weight will now be working FOR you!... I bet you'll really be surprised at the efficiency you will then attain.
*At the Prospector's gunwale width and your height...kneeling from a somewhat "Canadien"-style position will get you the comfort in your stroke.
...AND, going a little further, you might want to add a pair of lower-thigh straps(Northwater, Bell, MikeYee....etc) for efficiency on the forward stroke!

$.01
Steve

Finally found some history
I know this post is close to a year old, but I thought I would pass on what I found out.

Dagger canoe’s were given up on around 02-03. My canoe, pictured above was a mold bought by bell. it is now the Bell Yellowstone. http://www.bellcanoe.com/products/default.asp?page=product&id=595&catid=194

Mine is still badged as a Dagger, but I thought, just in case I don’t have the only one made this may help someone else.

Tommy