Solo Canoe for a Fat Guy

Consider the Wenonah Fisherman
It has all the characteristics you are looking for … stability, capacity, utilitarian nature, etc.

Best of all, it makes for a good solo OR tandem boat. For tandem use, just point it in the normal direction. For solo use, point it backwards and sit in what is normally the front seat … but pointing the other way. Believe it or not, the boat handles well used as a solo boat in such a fashion.

The Royalex version is 57# and listed at $1199. Not bad for such a useful and durable boat.

http://www.wenonah.com/products/template/product_detail.php?IID=20&&

I’ll be in NJ with demos Sunday 8/9…

– Last Updated: Aug-03-09 7:39 PM EST –

I'll have my fleet of demos with me on Sunday at the Hackensack Canoe and Kayak Club's "Swim with your Canoe Day" this Sunday at Geen Turtle Pond in New Milford.

http://www.hrckc.org/ Go to "Activity Schedule"

We make the Indy at 15'8" and 28.5' wide (may not have quite the volume you're looking for, but it's defininately worth a try).

We also build the 16'2" Encore which is set up tandem with a kneeling thwart installed for decent solo paddling performance as well.

Our canoes are sold at all Ramsey locations

Maybe we'll see you out there.

Rob

Indy
I was looking at an Indy at Ramsey Outdoor but couldn’t really find much information on it online or any reviews. It looks pretty sweet though. I might try to make it to the event since it’s not too far from me.

I’m still kinda stuck on the idea behind the Solo Plus though just because I think I could use it by myself and with my girlfriend who’s pretty petite. Plus the main place I use it has a boat launch where you need to carry the boat up a hill and a trail and she wouldn’t need to help with that. Not that she helps much when I have to move the Northfork.

Prism
I would suggest you try any boat before buying and I would suggest you try the Prism. I have one in Kevlar flex core that I really like it and I have paddled it a couple hundred miles in the past 2 years. I weigh 200 pounds and have not had a lot of gear in it besides me,

I really like it for fishing and I do a lot of goose hunting out of it. I sit and paddle (and shoot) exclusively and it is very stable.

At times wind can be a problem but it handles big waves well. It is not as fast as my DY Special but it is far more comfortable to fish and hunt from.

By all means give the Prism a try.

Wenonah Fusion
Wenonah Fusion. A fine solo boat for big boys and others. Comfortable, fast, stable, and a reasonable price. Plus the raised seat makes it easy to get in and out.

Wenonah Wilderness
So I was able to try out a Wenonah Wilderness yesterday. The salesman said I probably need a slightly bigger boat. He said with no gear and calms conditions, it would be ok, but if I added gear and it got a little choppy it would probably be too small for me.

Looks like I’m probably going to have to go with a Solo Plus or a Penobscot 16.