Solo Canoe for river use.

I think we should all meet at the
St Francis, the next time it is running, and try out Bob’s HD-1.

Bell Merlin II
Wow! no one mentioned the Merlin II? [That’s a first.] Maybe, because it wasn’t mentioned in the original post but, a canoe that should be considered, heh?

In mild Class II?

– Last Updated: Jun-16-10 2:48 PM EST –

A Merlin II in mild Class II is practically a submarine, not to mention that it turns like the Queen Mary in comparison to any of the other boats already mentioned and has a very sticky stern. Sure, it's a great boat for efficient crusing where just a bit of maneuverability is needed - I have one and really like it - but I wouldn't recommend it to the original poster when there are other boats that are so much more suitable for what he wants to do.

If a person wanted only ONE boat and needed something for flatwater cruising AND rivers, I'd say a Merlin II might work as long as they don't mind needing to really muscle their turns and bailing the boat after anything rougher than Class I.

Boo, mention the Widerness. Some of
these turkeys may have stuffed one.

Yes he did…
In this post…

“East Central Illinois River boats

Posted by: CEWilson on Jun-14-10 10:12 AM (EST)”

if this is a dedicated stream/river boat
…you could throw in a Mohawk Probe(of some length).

$.01

Respectfully…
I respectfully disagree with the suggestion that “any” Mohawk Probe should be considered as a candidate for the OP.

The two longest Probes: The Probe 13 has 5 inches of rocker, and the Probe 14 has 6 inches of rocker.

Take another look at the rivers the OP stated that he would be paddling. Class II at most, and seldom that.

Why would the paddler want/need a dedicated whitewater canoe with 5 or 6 inches of rocker, on rivers that are most often less than class II?

Additionally, the OP stated that the only solo he’s paddled is an Old Town Pack. That’s a pretty big transition; from a Pack to a Probe 14.

Surely you jest.

BOB

Very true for the OP, Bob, though
I paddle my high rocker Synergy and Edsel on easy stuff, while leaving my MR Guide in the carport for the wrens to nest in.

You get so that on even little rapids, a high rocker boat is more fun to mess around in, and with experience, paddling straight becomes very easy.

I agree
I do the same. It’s a matter of priority. I’ll often paddle a whitewater boat on what is primarily moving flat water just to play around in the riffles.

It isn’t the best choice if someone wants to go far or fast, but that isn’t everyone’s goal.

I understand…

– Last Updated: Jun-17-10 12:37 PM EST –

I understand the "playing with the river" concept; it is often a goal of mine. I am rarely in a hurry to get from point A to point B.

6 inches of rocker on a river under class 2 seems like overkill to me. Especially when you hit those long, flat sections & the wind kicks up some. Sure, you can make it go straight; having to do so is no fun to me.

You guys (advanced paddlers!) would recommend a boat with 6 inches of rocker to the OP, for his intended usage? NOT!

An Old Town Pack to a Probe 14; come on, give me a break.

The most appropriate boat for doing enders is an old beat up, 17 foot, Grumman? Have seen an NOC instructor do it.........therefore that's just the canoe I need for doing enders.

You guys probably take a Wenonah Jensen down Chattooga Section 4 to practice your racing stroke on the straightaways too. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

You two are a hoot; both certifiable jokers!

:^) LOL!

BOB

Yes, but…
I may be imagining it… but I get the impression that seemingly inappropriate craft actually dominate here in the UK. Kayakers at one club in Norfolk (from where you cannot access anything remotely worth calling moving water within any sane driving range) seemed to overwhelmingly favour what I would regard as white water play boats (which is what dominate for flatwater paddling at my old club in the midlands)… and most solo open canoing appears to be conducted from barge like craft that offer no semblance of fit (let alone solo performance) whatsoever.

Seems to me that temperament / personality and the like seem to dominate actual craft purchases / usage: appropriateness, for most folk, seems to come in a pretty distant second!

Inquiring mind wants to know?
In the UK what canoe companies have dealerships & canoes “readily available”?

I imagine there are few canoes readily assessable to the average individual, at a reasonable price.

Am I wrong?

BOB

I follow Song of the Paddle, and those
folks are mostly cruisers and campers paddling flatwater boats. But I’ve been impressed with the enterprise and demonstrated skill of people using whitewater boats.

Availability, etc.
UK availability of open canoes seems is fine in royalex for cruisers and campers paddling flatwater boats… but is just plain lousy (and horrifically pricey) for almost anything else!

The cheapest rx tubs come in at around £800. Wenonahs are available in Rx at nearer the $1,800 mark… and a composite Bell is likely to be a special order that costs nearer $4,000!

Short, wide kayaks dominate, and I suspect that’s mostly for waterways more suited to fast tourers: whatever works for them!

– Last Updated: Jun-18-10 9:49 PM EST –

>but the Bell & the Wenonah are a little better trackers.

You prescribe a boat's "tracking" in Class I-II water in order to help Highlander easily progress in developing the paddling skills that'll make tougher water fun...???? Not disagreeing with any of the boats mentioned...what I don't get is your line of reasoning FOR boat_X, or boat_Y...? All I was focusing on was the fact that it didn't sound like he has downriver/upriver racing as one of his future aspirations...

$.01

Most rivers that don’t exceed class 2
also have substantial flattish intervals between those rapids. For a new paddler not used to corrections and keeping a boat in line, a Probe might not be the best boat to start with. I’d recommend a whitewater boat to start with only for someone planning to focus on whitewater, class 1,2,3 and beyond.

First decide on composite vs. Royalex

– Last Updated: Jun-19-10 3:05 PM EST –

Composite answer: Wildfire or Osprey

Royalex answer: MR Guide or Mohawk Odyssey 14

Principle underlying my answers: A lightweight composite is far superior to Royalex for any canoe, unless the paddler regularly engages in high potential boat pinning/smashing/scraping forms of paddling -- to wit, (a) hard whitewater, (b) remote wilderness tripping, or (c) high risk practicing in obstacle-laden swift water that is significantly above the paddler's skill level.

Assumption underlying my answers: The paddler is interested in a canoe primarily to engage in the disciplined activity of single-bladed paddling, rather than in a craft that is primarily a platform for non-paddling activities.

yep, you guys are right…I just wasn’t
sure in which direction he was/is going…

Mohawk Odyssey 14
I have a Mohawk Challenger 14, which is the Odyssey’s predecessor (same boat, but no tumblehome). It’s a great boat to take on a lake but is really at home on moving water and can handle class III outfitted right and in capable hands.

Put it this way, you’d have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

Doug

mohawk challenger
i bought a challenger from mohawk before they stopped production, can’t ask for a better small river canoe.