solo canoe for small streams

placid
Placid still has one Wildfire left in stock, according to their website.

A Qustion of budget
Argosy in Royalex is $$ is important.

PBW Wildfire if $$ is not important.

Koach

hull draught
A slightly off kilter viewpoint here, because all the canoes suggested by previous posters are nicer than anything I have to solo. But I keep thinking about what I like about one boat I use. The boat is an older equivalent of the Camper. Very unglamourus, but it has some virtues you might want to consider for your intended use.

You are not a small person, and all the other boats will draw considerably more water than the flat-bottomed and spacious Camper. The Camper will float you in 2" of water. I think the other boats would be scraping in 2". Partly that is due to their hull shape, and partly because they are smaller.

Secondly, a Camper is very easy to get in and out. If you are going to be running in streams where you expect to have to frequently climb out in challenging conditions, why not make it easier on yourself with a stable hull?

I especially like running my boat up onto a log. The flat bottom keeps the boat steady while I walk up the boat and get out on the log. Or sometimes I can get the boat far enough up that I can walk to the other end and teeter-totter it back into the water on the other side of the log. I just don’t think you can do that in a round-hulled or v-bottomed boat.

The Camper is heavier than what you are looking for, 60 lbs in royalex. But maybe their are lighter layups available or other boats with similarly flat, spacious hulls. Such boats won’t be as fast as above recommended boats. If you lean them over enough, they can be quite maneuverable.

Just a thought for your consideration.

~~Chip

small stream boat
I’d say don’t ignore FE’s recommendation…the MR Guide is an awesome boat and absolutely spins on a dime plus it’s friendly…easy to lean and stable when leaned…and surprisingly efficient. If you can find one (and can handle the weight) I think you’d love it.

If you really want to get dizzy the Wildfire is a fine choice.

For an all around sweetheart that’s highly maneuverable (if a touch less than the two above) I’d also recommend the Osprey. Wildfire may be best freestyle boat but I’d much rather spend time in an Osprey.

Spit can be built with a reinforcing
belly band.

That enables you to kneel in it.

Same for Rapid

Best for smaller paddlers/or ones with good balance and a lower CG

One of the best boats for small streams would be Mohawks Solo 13. However I dislike bridging any boat on logs…makes a boat inherently unstable.