Solo canoe research with a smile

You could check out Millbrook.
Kaz uses S-glass exterior, Kevlar inside, vinylester resin, no foam. The pertinent models for your stated use would be the AC/DC at 16.5’, about 40 pounds, and the 14.5’ Patriot. Both have fairly straight keels, but the AC/DC was designed for one class whitewater (slalom and downriver), and both boats are pretty maneuverable for their speed.

I would not over-value heat cured epoxy, though I have two such boats. Vinylester is quite hard and adheres very well to the fabrics Kaz uses.

millbrookboats.com

Renting a Tranquility
I don’t know that you’ll be able to rent an SR Tranquility for use in the BWCA. I’m quite sure Sawbill Outfitters don’t rent them.

Red Rock Outfitters by Ely MAY rent you one. They are the SR distributor for the US, but even then they may rent you one only if you are considering buying it. I don’t know if they even have any in stock. The owner doesn’t like them. I think they have had problems with newbies buying (or renting) the Tranquility and not being satisfied, so instead they rent the SR Quetico 16 solo.

The SR Quetico 16 is a tandem. SR took that hull and installed a single, center seat and called it a solo. That is the SR solo that the BWCA outfitters rent. They like it because it is wide and stable – a better fishing platform and safer for those less experienced in a solo canoe. I know of no outfitters renting the Tranquility.

Be care when you ask about it! A friend, wanting to do a comparison of canoes arranged day rentals of the wenonah Prisim, Bell Magic, and SR Tranquility. When he picked up the “Tranquility” he immediately questioned it. The outfitter (not Red Rock) insisted it was. My friend was certain it was a Q16. Later he found that the outfitter does not have any Tranquilitys, just Q16s. So be careful if you reserve/rent one. You may be told that you have a SR solo, which probably means it is not a Tranquility.

Test paddling etc
I was hoping to testpaddle someones Magic this spring. Don’t know about Doc’s - It still appears kinda skittish, like a not-quite broken horse (!)

The BWCA trip with Doc and Frank is really tempting. I have not yet committed to a spring Chesapeak (or other location) trip with my friends from Pgh and Paoli, so I do not know what that will do in terms of scheduling headaches. If I were to head for Ely on a shopping/paddling trip it would be in late April or early May to miss the bug season. But what with the mild winter they are having now, the bugs might be out in force earlier than normal.

While the SRTS has caught my fancy, I am in no way committed to it. So far P-Net research has turned up descriptions ranging from “fast” to “a dog” and “stable” to “tender”. Ahhh, I love subjectivity. While I am (technically) a fan of baked epoxy, I realize that it’s presence or absense from a laminate is not a deal-breaker. I also realize that Red Rock’s website has a very aggressive marketing program for Souris River canoes. They DO talk a good line.

Of course, our union employees may strike on the 13th, our home office may decide to close my division, and I may be out of work (albiet with some sort of severence package) by the time I need to decide on a hull.

Jim

Hemlock Canes
Hmmm…there is a new face in the race. Hemlock Canoes builds without beer cooler styrofoam, and has several interesting models.

And with Hemlock being only 6 hours from my Dad’s house in Pgh, Hemlocks are much more affordable in terms of cost to acquire (Ely is 20 hours/ 2 days away from me).

The plot thickens.

Jim

Prism
Hey Jim, I was seriously considering a Tranquility Solo and still would like to paddle one. I did get a chance to paddle Doc’s and NR’s Magics at Pymo in a bit of wind and found them to be stable and maneuverable. I was undecided on what to do until Doc and I set up a Fl trip and he was bringing his Magic. As I’ve tried to keep up with him when I was in my Yellowstone Solo I decided to get the Prism I’d found in Fl just south of Mom’s place. I was driving down for Christmas anyway so it wasn’t any “extra cost”. After paddling the Prism in Fl I couldn’t be happier - just ask Doc as I keep telling him. I’m anxious to get it in the BWCA. The Prism has no rocker so it required use of more turning strokes on some of the Fl rivers we were on and I’ll practice leaning it to turn when the water around here warms some. It’s a little larger than the Magic and I find it more stable - of course I haven’t jacked the seat to the rails as on the Yellowstone and probably won’t. May need to raise the seat just 1/2 to 3/4 inch to get my big boots under for kneeling. Looked at the Hemlock site and they make some good points on their construction methods and gel coat. I’d sure like to visit their factory and paddle their boats. Do I hear a road trip in the making? Anyway you’re more than welcome to paddle the Prism - maybe a winter or early spring paddle. Frank

Sounds like the beginning
of a plan. Lets see…Kinzua is on the way accoarding to Rand McNally. That give anyone any ideas?

Jim

Jim…sent you an email
check out this boat.

Have to wait
Until I get home - no access to personal e-mail here at work.

Jim

Sorry Clarion
I didn’t even see your post.

Yep, you hit the nail on the head. I want a boat that I cannot spin on it’s own axis!

Jim

Dave:
For a test paddle, I would want to test an Eaglet against a Peregrine. I am wondering if the Eaglet might be too close to my MR-FS though.

On paper, the Peregrine looks…rather tasty.

Jim

Jim
I doubt my Magic is more skittish than N.T.'s, Wes’s or Randy’s. I think Randy invited you up to Pittsburgh to paddle his. I’ve been out and about in mine a lot more since we last saw each other, and it gets less skittish each time. I wonder if I’ve tamed it, and if it will behave itself for you :). My granddaughter is a horsewoman (girl) who works summers breaking jumping horses. Not sure if taming a canoe is a similar process.

I’m hoping you will seriously consider joining us in the Boundary Waters.

Doc

I’m thinking about the Supernova, so…
I live at the Buffalo National River - and it sounds like you have had your boat there - (which for me is a daily must) - but the reason I’m potentially buying a Supernova would be to take her out on Big Muddy - any thoughts about a Supernova on the Mississippi?

Cheers,

~ David