Solo Canoe Speed vs. Efficiency

Got one of those too
sure its a quick boat.dont have all specs with me but its about 2 inches narrower at the WL tha at least the Merlin II.

Whats with the desire for speed? Its the one thing we all look for. I looked at the Magic because it was fast but when I really thought about what I wanted, I wanted something I could put two hefty size packs in. Not four little packs. Magic could not do that. Ergo I perhaps lost speed on the water but more efficient portaging made up time.

Yes Magic is a pretty honest heeler and will swing a wide U turn with a static placement and momentum. One way you can get two boats out of one.

I am off to do the 1000 Islands playing in Peregrine and Argosy…

you know . . .
A wise person once said:

“In Canada kids are taught that there is one boat and the paddler can change and adapt.”

Two boats on one trip. Tsk Tsk.

Sorry, couldn’t resist. Hope you have a great trip :slight_smile:

Okay…
Sorry for all the boat talk but I love talking about boats. Love paddling them even more but like to talk them up afterwards.

I did my trip on the Shenandaoh. It was 40 miles of Class I and with two Class II rapids. One was supposedly Class II+ but I did not find it to be so.

I took the Wildfire.

I like paddling the Wilfire. I think it is very comfortable and just a pleasurable boat to paddle forward. Low and narrow gunwales allow a nice smooth stroke and the boat tracks well.

It does not do great with a load though for me. I think I am pushing the optimum weight for the boat. I also don’t find it to be super maneuverable with a load.

I played in the two Class IIs for quite some time. I ran them each twice. Once with a load and once without. And then played around surfing and ferrying across without a load.

I would agree with what people have said about the Wildfire. It was a pretty wet ride, taking on quite a bit of water each time I ran the rapd or surfed it. A couple of gallons worth probably.

I think it is suitable but certainly not optimal for these conditions with my weight and not optimal for playing for me at least. Stability in rapids and surfing was okay but not as good as the Mad River Freedom Solo. Also found it not to be extremely maneuverable in the rapid or when surfind a wave.

Where it was good was for just crusing along on the river. Not super fast, but smooth.

That said…I think I am going to opt to keep the Mad River and sell the the Wildfire…I know I am really bad about making my mind up on boats! But it is fun and I am learning a lot in the process.

I am going to pick up a used Merlin II tomorrow. I think it will suit my needs well, but I guess I’ll see. If not then it will be up on the classified page for recycling to another boat adict.

Sorry for all the talk about boats, but I enjoy the subject. Hopefully some others out there are as well.

I am having a blast trying out all these different boats and will settle on one eventually…maybe! Still want to paddle a Magic…

Matt

Keep the questions and talk coming.
I find your questions and the answers that they garner to be quite informative mentally stimulating.

You take a lot more time to experiment than I do or can, so I appreciate your musings and observations.

Have fun with the Merlin II. I’ve only paddled one for about 20 minutes on calm water, but I liked it. That was about three or four summers ago.

Solo canoes have been my focus for the last few years, rather than kayaks, so I’m still very much in the learning stage and I don’t have many opportunities to test paddle new models.

I’m 5’6", 160 lbs and haven’t found a canoe that I really like on shallow, twisty rivers with up to class II drops. The royalex Wildfire does pretty well for me, but I think that the Curtis Lady Bug will do better after I get it outfitted to fit me.

Keep the good stuff coming.

same here
i could talk about solo canoes all the live-long day.

i’ve spent some time in a whitegold Merlin II recently, probably will take it out again today.

it’s a nice boat, predictable and pretty easy to handle when the wind pipes up.

it feels a bit “big” for me up front, maybe the front third of the canoe.

but i’m typically kneeling in my rob roy, paddling a marathon solo or stand-up paddling a wood strip bob special.

i like delta hulls, so maybe that’s why the merlin feels kind of chubby up front.

also, it’s a little wet, too. i took on a quart or two dealing with large boat wakes. seems like it has plenty of fullness up front to deal with choppy seas, but i really had to lean back when plowing dead into boat wakes.

just feels like it doesn’t pop right up or cut through the wave.

anyway, on with the discussions…

Don’t stop

– Last Updated: May-24-09 12:25 PM EST –

talking about canoeing....
As a newcomer to solo canoeing, I learn a lot from reading these posts.
One thing, though, my boat is perfect, for me, at this time ;^)

I agree
kanulife I have to agree with you about the Merlin II while I love mine and paddle it often it does feel “chubby” up front and I also agree that it doesn’t pop with the waves with it’s bow and can take on some water in direct boat chop. I do feel like has a sports car feel to it in it’s responsiveness though and is an agile canoe for it’s length. I feel this boat really comes alive when you kneel in it.

don’t get me wrong
i really like the boat.

if i could only have one canoe and it was a merlin II, i’d be more than happy.

i paddled it again sunday on an open bay along the gulf of mexico.

and you’re right about kneeling in it. i’ve sat a few times and quickly went back.