Solo Canoe Speed Vs. Kayak?????

Solo canoe workout
I have a WS Tempest 165 kevlar, and a Wenonah Vagabond (14’6") Royalex.

Believe me, the canoe will move, and give you a good workout.

I frequently paddle the Vagabond with a 230 kayak paddle.

I was going to put a footbrace in the canoe, but have been waiting for Wenonah to get their new model brace into the accesories department.

Believe me, if you paddle solo, you want a footbrace.

Sitting is a lot more comfortable than kneeling, although the footbrace allows both.

I had originally thought about putting a kayak brace in, but I found that the canoe brace gives a more variable foot placement.

sitting or kneeling
i personally like to kneel but also move around and change positions. i have my river canoe (16’ tandem prospector) outfitted with kneeling pads and thigh straps. i pull the straps over one (and put the other leg up) or both thighs even for flats because of the power transmission.

it’s really comfortable and very effective at propelling and controlling the boat. paddling ahead at speed and making fast maneuvers is big fun this way.

as far as speed is concerned i can’t add anything new that others have missed but to say that the difference in speed is relatively small if you have a narrow fast canoe and paddle it hard. i’ve passed many a kayak when i want to move and my boats aren’t that efficient overall. depends on the boats and paddlers involved in comparison, dig?

Howdy Bowler
You can indeed get a good work out in a canoe, a lot of the same paddle mechanics in kayaks are in canoeing, such as using your torso for most of you power. Do try a solo canoe, there are a lot of good ones out there, Wenonah makes several fast solo boats, the Advantage, Prism or the Voyager. There are several nice designs out there so have a look, and have fun trying a bunch of them out.

Power
What it comes down to is power, Force x distance/time. Most humans can only output 0.25 to 0.3 horsepower in an hour. Those of us in faster boats go a longer distance in the same hour with about the same power output; we are not necesarily stronger or better, we just have a hull that is narrower and more efficient at higher speeds. Canoes tend to be wider than kayaks for the needed stability when sitting higher up, and have corresponding more drag. Once you develop a good stroke for either kayak or canoe, you can wear yourself out equally well and fast in both. And, you use your legs about the same in both for bracing and resistance against the boat for paddling. If in doubt, paddle either one and try to run 3 miles at a good pace within a few minutes of finishing. Your legs will rebel as they are already tired.

Choose your boat and wear yourself out.

Check out a Sawyer Shockwave.
You can really run. The sliding seat allows perfect positioning for wind compensation and reduces switching and correcting strokes. Seat height is easily adjustable as is the foot brace. Using your back, legs and stomach muscles to paddle gives one a pretty good work out and I seem to keep up with most 16’ - 17’ kayaks.

I’d guess 1 mph
I can cruise a good solo boat at maybe 3.5 - 4 mph on calm water for miles…and maybe 4.5 - 5 mph for shorter periods…and top out at something close to but below 6 mph (in a relatively fast sporty solo like a Bell Merlin II or a Hemlock Peregrine).

My experience is that an average paddler in a decent sea kayak (16 foot+) will just steadily walk away from me. So - maybe 1 mph…maybe only 1/2 mph, but 1 mph is huge when your whole speedometer only goes from 0-6 mph!

18 to 18.5 foot racing canoes chase me down and pass me like I’m not moving…they give up nothing to sea kayaks for speed…but they give up roominess, maneuverability, seaworthiness, and capacity. I think they can cruise at over 6 mph with low effort. Zoom.