solo canoe vs sea kayak

Depends on boat and paddler
I have a Bell Magic and I can paddle it faster with a single than I used to be able to paddle my old QCC 600x kayak with a double.

But if I had both boats now no doubt I could paddle the QCC a little faster. But I’d rather be in my Magic.

If you’re happy paddling less than 4.5-5 mph then it doesn’t really matter what you’re paddling. Any longish canoe or kayak will be nearly effortless up to 4mph and pretty easy up to 5mph. From there on it starts to get noticeably harder and the boats will start to separate themselves. But you’re talking serious effort to maintain this speed for more than 5 or 10 minutes at this point, which most paddlers aren’t interested in doing.

Unless you’re getting serious about serious fitness paddling or racing I doubt you’d notice a difference in speed between something like a Magic, Prism, Advantage, Shockwave, QCC 600/700, Looksha, etc except when applying a short burst of maximum power. Just get what’s available, meets your budget, and makes you happy.

Alan

great info!
Thanks everyone this has been some great info. I think the way for me to go will be something like the Bell Magic with some spray covers to reduce wind problems. Although I may still end up with a nice see kayak back in my quiver of boats.

Canoe speed
When I went to my first real race I was in a QCC600 kayak and thought I was pretty big stuff. All the other kayaks there were surf skis, and I knew I couldn’t beat them, but most of the guys and gals showed up in these goofy looking solo canoes. So at the finish it would be the surf skis, then me, and then the canoes.

That plan didn’t work out so well and I came in 2nd to last ahead of the only other kayak to enter, a 15 footer. If I remember correctly the top C1 beat all but the top surf ski that day. It’s amazing how hard good racers can push a boat.

Alan

gorgeous boat

Don’t forget, just a wee tad…
…to the northwest from you, up in Canada, with likely a dealer in Seattle, Clipper Canoe makes the Sea 1. It will set you back some gelt, but it will put you right up there, be it lake, sea, or big river, with some mighty quick composite cousins, be they kayak or canoe ilk. All whilst hauling more than you might fit in most sea kayaks. Superior Canoes’ Kruger-derivative, likewise.

Had a chance to paddle one once, here on the Susquehanna, as well as on Deleware’s Trap Pond. Of the Sawyer Loon, Kruger Sea Wind, Old Town Sockeye (McCrea’s notorious Bygone Bilged Barcolounger), and Sea 1 armada of decked canoes present that day on the Susy-Q, it was my favorite, although the Sea Wind was obviously the more well-rounded (pun intended) model for attempting tighter boulder garden turns and maneuvers. Since you were/are a kayaker, I suppose it shouldn’t be a problem assuming the dedicated butt-boater position in any of these craft, although if memory serves I believe they all had some nice seat adjustment options.

Until I finish putting some young ladies through college I suppose I’ll have to just continue dreaming of owning a Sea 1. Till then, guess I’ll just remain sit ‘n switchin’ 'n kevitchin my Wenonah Whirlwinded ‘n Wind-Socked Wacko Dog Wieldin’ Voyager through the zephyrs of zig 'n sag.

I have no problem…
keeping up with the kayakers I paddle with in my Magic until the wind and waves really kick up. At that point I have to pull out the double paddle to keep up.

I should add when I paddle my Classic XL they have a hard time keeping up with me.

Lastly, double blading in my canoes isn’t much faster just gives me more control in the wind and waves.

Bailing makes a difference.
If you are slowed by the need to bail, the kayaks are gone.

I paddle a Wenonah Wilderness solo

– Last Updated: Sep-02-14 2:22 PM EST –

It's 15'4". I can carry enough gear and food for a weeks trip for one.
When it comes to wind, it's all about balance.
I've find shifting more weight forward can make a huge difference in fighting the hated wind...FWIW, I usually use a beavertail or ottertail paddle and rarely switch sides.

Open Water Canoes
First let me say that if I could sit in a kayak I would still have one for open water. Hard to beat a 21" beam for making time.

But I can not due to tight hams.

So I paddle canoes kneeling. My favorites currently are the Magic and the Mad River Independence. I have a slight preference for the Indy as it seems to catch the wind a bit less.

I agree with the comments about the Voyager. I’m 5’9" 200 lbs and I think the Voyager wants another 100 lbs for good control in the wind.

I also did not get along with the Clipper Sea-1. That boat requires the rudder. While I could kneel in the boat I could not use the rudder.

waves
IMO, you can deal with the wind in a canoe. Ya, maybe not quite as good as in a kayak, but canoes have great advantages for inland lakes such as greater load capacity, easier, portaging, and a more comfortable seat position.

The big concern with canoes on big open water is getting swamped by big waves. Three big waves coming over the side of the canoe in succession can swamp a canoe to the gunnels

You can overcome this to a large degree by adding a full length skirt to the canoe. There are snap-on designs available that would make the canoe a lot more sea worthy.

or go hybrid!! best if both worlds.
A decked canoe is an large open pit kayak sort of!

Superior Expedition Canoes

Kruger Expedition Canoe

Clipped Sea One.

hybrid sea kayak and canoe

Posting to a long dead thread, but… with the right conditions, racing canoes can beat kayaks. I am in the process of getting a Voyager ruddered. It will also be skirted if I do one specific race due to the 5 mile bay crossing at the finish (but others have mentioned that skirting it helps with some of its wind issues as well. The particular race is 265 miles long. It is generally felt that single bladed paddles are easier on the paddler in this race due to the length, and the number of portages make decked boats a disadvantage.

That said, jonesing for a new sea kayak anyway, as I prefer the connection and rollability of kayaks when conditions become more “playful”.

Three years later, but I haven’t lived up to my threat of getting a sea kayak. Also haven’t explored much of the great ocean shoreline around here.