Solo Canoes Part Two

Thoughts
PD, my recommendation is to buy a boat for the conditions that you are going to use it for 80% of the time. You’ll paddle it more and be happier with it. If you will be paddling smaller, rockier streams/creeks/river, then get a boat for that. When you occasionally go to a lake to paddle either make do or rent a more appropriate boat.

The boats you list are all very different. I’ll give you my general impressions of them with the caveat that all these boats can be pressed into service for other uses and have been by many folks.

The Prism is a lake boat. It will not do well on small, twisty steams. It is not ideal to fish out of.

OT Pack is a creek boat. Don’t take it on big lakes nor rapid moving water. Small, intimate waters.

Yellowstone Solo – I haven’t paddled, so my comments are hearsay. A good boat that will handle rivers and lakes but leans toward the river side. It takes a while to get use to it. Some people find it twitchy (ie not stable). Probably not a good choice for a beginner in a solo canoe.

Vagabond is a smaller, but good all round canoe. I paddled one in the BWCA. It was fine as long as there wasn’t waves. I paddle one on the Mississippi once and it scared the heck out of me. Still, I kept upright in it, but I’d rather keep it on clamer waters.

I agree with the poster who recommended the Wenonah Argosy. I like that boat for your smaller lakes and rivers and I suspect that it will handle the Missouri as well.

I don’t know the MR Freedom Solo or Mohawk Odyssey, but from what I’ve heard about them, they may not be a bad choice either.

Thanks everyone…
for all the information that was shared. I am looking forward to trying out 4 or 5 canoes that I have my “wish list” down to. Having gone thru a similar buying situation for golf clubs back in the mid 80’s, I know how important it is to use more than your “sight sense” when purchasing a recreational product. By the way, the only golf club I have bought since the mid 80’s was the John Daley Grip it and Rip it driver. It was only $44 at Walmart and it really did add about 30 yards to my driving. My brother in law told me it was an illegal club so maybe that is why it is so performance enhancing?

Happy paddling and thanks again.