solo canoes seaworthy?

ahh, okay
I’m glad I’m not losing my sanity.

The Northwater covers are supposed to hold up really well in rough water. They used to have a review either posted on their site or a link to one posted, but I don’t see it at the moment. If you want more info on the Northwater spray deck, here’s the website:

http://www.northwater.com/html/spray_deck.html

I’ve had a Cooke cover and it was pretty nice. You’d want to check their website for current info. I thought someone had posted that Dan had started offering lift dots as an option instead of snaps, and that they were the stronger of the two. However, I don’t remember for sure, so please check the info on his website. I think it’s www.cookecustomsewing.com

What Layup Vagabond?
What layup are your current boats, Beachcamper?

There was a thread a while back about oyster reefs and canoe materials. You might want to check the archives. My guess is that the composite layups of fiberglass or kevlar would be better than royalex, because the softer royalex would cut more easily. All I ever got on my old fiberglass Sawyer cruiser was some scratches but I didn’t use it all that often in the bays and tried to stay off the oysters as much as possible.

vagabond
is a royalex material and it does get sliced up. I think wenonah uses the thinner type stuff as it really scratches up easy. I tend to be careful with my boats but sometimes the currents do take you places you don’t want to go.

I’ll check those websites on the covers and also do a search for material pro’s and con’s, thanks.

The Mohawk Odyssey 15 I was looking at (not nearly as nice as that tranquility) is also a thinner R84 royalex still weighs 50 plus pounds but the price is not bad. The Souris river would be a dream to handle at around 30 or so pounds. I am not the strongest woman in the world so that is very appealing to me as well.

lay-ups
my rob roy is the old fiberlar version, mostly glass with a little kevlar. i think it’s the toughest lay-up bell ever made, but they’ve dropped it in favor of the higher-priced white gold. i’ve hit many an oyster bar in the Everglades with a 100 pound load. scratched the boat a little, but i patched the gel coat with Marine-Tex and it’s been solid ever since.

as for the rudder, it would be quite easy to install one in an open canoe. great access to the stern area.

yes and
Yes a rudder is THE most effiecient thing on any boat. Why spend energy doing corrective strokes when you can use that energy to go somewhere .i.e forward. Im still amazed at peoples thinking. Here we adapt to everything else changing over time…cars, skis, motors, paddles,clothing,and computers etc etc. But we still hold onto those old 17th century canoe designs and strokes. Nothing wrong with them but one can be more effiecient which in the coarse of a long day means the difference of being tired or not.

Can you imagine having to turn your car by stopping getting out and physically turing the wheels then getting back in and going in the new direction. Effieciency also equals added safety as well as added speed. Ive noticed over the last 8 years after usuing a canoe with a rudder how more enjoyable paddling is. My friends usually are too tired after a 10 hour day of paddling when i feel like I just started.

you’re da’ man though
saw the blurb in canoe and kayak. keep livin’ the dream, norm, or should i say Mr. Miller? :slight_smile:

Ruddered Penobscot 16

– Last Updated: Jan-26-05 3:25 PM EST –

I have a rudder system I built for the above boat. Originally to replace the steering oar when sailing but also planned on it being used for paddling too so I came up with a good compromise on size and shape. I love it. Same side paddling as long a I want. The Souris boat uses pedals I believe. I have the details on my other laptop but it is down for the moment. I e-mailed back and forth with the guy about it.
Mine is traditional stick control. Push for port, pull for starboard.
Spray deck is next!

David
I would be interested in seeing a picture of your penobscot with rudder.

Pics
Do you belong to Yahoo? I have pics there in the sailing canoe group. Here is a link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sailing_canoes/

I also posted a few at webshots. See if this still works please:

http://community.webshots.com/user/hdavidh

Tranquility?
Sorry to be such an opinionated schmuck.

I really really disliked this boat when I tried it. It’s virtues seem to be stability and capacity. As far as efficiency it’s a slug. The dealer that I’ve bought many boats from agrees (not a good hull design).

I still remember how the waterline looked since you can see through the boat. Bow cuts a nice fine line but then the waterline gets real wide real fast - you can actually see that the boat is not an efficient shape (gradual shape changes much better for efficiency).

Souris River boats are cool and unique. Not this one.

Sorry! For stability and capacity - and for toughness for the weight - it kicks butt.

Don’t give up on this boat yet
I’ll assume what you say about the boat’s design is correct. I still would not rule out the use of this boat for Beachcamper’s purposes. That’s because “efficiency” is not a catch-all word to describe how easily a boat moves under all conditions. In fact, a lot of boats that are said to be NOT as efficient as a sleek tripper actually move through the water with much LESS effort than a tripper at moderate speeds. Also, that rapid taper from the stem to the wider midsection will help the boat ride over big waves, and the ability to handle big waves while carrying camping gear was stated as a prime requirement in this particular case (too flat of a bottom might be a hinderance, though). Fast, sleek canoes normally branded as highly efficient do not fare well in rough water. The proof is in the paddling, but my hunch is that this would still be a good boat for the intended purpose. On the other hand, keeping up with sea kayaks, as was mentioned at one point in the thread, might not be feasible. You just can’t have it all.

souris in C&K
that’s one sweet looking canoe in the latest Canoe and Kayak. love the red weave and the black deck.