Solo Canoes

Pack
I own one and use it quite a bit. Mostly flatwater cruising and fishing. I really enjoy it and find speed is not an issue for me. A double bladed paddle will make it move right along and eliminates the yawing with a single blade. Plenty roomy with enough space for a couple of rods, a cooler, tackle and a couple of bags for weekend overnights and my 6’3" 230 lb frame. I find it relatively stable. I lowered the seat an inch or two but have since raised it back to its original height. I’ve yet to dump it. It’s highly manuverable, one sweep and you can spin almost 180 degrees. Handles wind and chop pretty well, I’ve had it out in some rough conditions and after my initial trepidation found it does quite well, again a double blade works wonders here. An excellent fishing platform due to it’s shorter length and easy manuverability. A lightweight boat that gets you back where others can’t go.

solo
look @ grasse river

Merlin?
Hey Groovey Manatee; you say you have owned Bell Merlins. Do you mean the original Merlin designed by Bruce Kunz or the Merlin2 redesigned by David Yost? I am just Curious to see how your reaction to the Merlin is different to mine if it was th eOriginal Merlin.

Mississippi River & “Pack” canoe

– Last Updated: Jan-26-07 9:08 AM EST –

i own two Old Town Pack canoes, i have paddled down the Mississippi River from Brainerd to Minneapolis, Minnesota---over 100 miles, Rum River, Crow River, St Croix River, etc. and numerous overnight BWCAW camping trips paddling up stream on the Kawishiwi River chain east of Ely and Minneapolis city lakes---no problem. the closed foam hull is unsinkable, royalex skin glides over rocks and the it can handle a maximum 400lbs of total weight. its drawbacks are insignificant i.e., glide length, hull skin scratches and an oil canning hull. this short canoe is not built for speed---i switch paddle every 2 to 3 dips, it is a workhorse and very stable---once you get your water legs. if you experience high waves and wind stay on shore, this is true of all canoes. i really like the 33lbs weight and i have never tipped over. downstream fast flowing river water is my helper engine. my other canoes: 18 foot souris river wilderness, 17 foot grumman aluminium lightweight square back.

river canoe/boat…
PrarieDog,

I’d tend to side with Bob here…if anything like the Missouri is a definite destination, I’d rather see you in a river-guiding style of craft…with oars…etc. Much more stable when anchored.

just my $.01…

Steve