Solo Cruiser advice

The Voyager is great in all aspects
but the wind. Without a cover , it will work you to death. With a cover, it is manageable, but those western winds are wicked.

Have you considered a decked boat like a Rob Roy or a Kruger? Or , heaven forbid, have you thought about a kayak?Most yaks, but not all, could care less about the wind.

Ok I am throwing in another Sawyer…
I just became a new owner of a Sawyer Shockwave. I am impressed as #ell with it. I was a sea kayak owner,but recent back problems had me looking at a fast canoe. It tracks very well,and so far the winds I have been in have had little effect in handling. I have yet to have it in any real rough water,so that judgement is still out. If you can find one give it a try.

Happy Paddling billinpa

Amen on the Shockwave
I, too, became the owner of a Shockwave last summer. I haven’t used it much yet, but it’s surely impressed me in several ways–the stability is particularly pleasing. I’ve only paddled it on fairly calm lakes.

Congrats Bill!
I was wondering which boat you’d favor after solos you got to try yesterday.

Otegan & Voyager
I’ve had both the Otegan & the Voyager. Got the Voyager about 2 months ago. I’m 180 lbs & 6’ tall.

I find the Voyager to be faster, much more stable, and more solidly built than the Otegan. Not that I didn’t like the Otegan, cause I did, the thing just felt frail compared to the Voyager. I can take the Voyager into water I previously only would have taken my kayak into, and I can do it at speed. The wind will take a while to get used to, but once you learn how to trim the boat you’ll get a handle on it. I’m comfortable now in steady 15mph plus winds with higher gusts. True, my Voyager is probably 8 pounds heavier than my Otegan was (ultralight kevlar on the Voyager vs. carbon on the Otegan), but I wouldn’t trade the few pounds back now.

Hey yanoer…
the Shockwave was the only boat for sale at the paddle & compare. Poor guy got laid off,and needed the money. I liked plenty of others that I paddled,but I would have to order one,and that I was told would be 2-3 months without a boat,won’t happen ! It was only paddled once,and looks like a new one{lucky me}. It fits the bill just perfect for me,and probably not be looking for another hull anytime too soon.

Happy Paddling billinpa