Solo Flatwater Canoe for Small Paddler

Thank you!
for the weight details.

Sure you can make a traditional seat
slide.

I just completed converting my wifes Vagabond canoe traditional webbed seat to a sliding tractor style, and it would have been just as easy to go the opposite.

She wants to kneel and the high end adjustable seat that came with the boat didn’t give her enough room.

She also wanted to be able to move the seat forward or backwards depending on the water conditions.

The problem is now solved.

So far over the years I have made six sliding seats, and either tractor or webbed can be done.

The secret is just measure twice, (no make that five times) and cut the tubing once !

I have three almost new webbed seats in the shop if anyone in this neck of the woods wants a freebie.

Jack L

weight is a consideration
but stature is first. Tall and gangly needs a bigger boat to fit well, no matter what the weight.

Except Tom MacKenzie who at six three could paddle an 11 foot kids boat cause he thought it was fun.

Given that,
would the Illusion be too big then with a max width (according to the website) of 29.25"? The 13’6" length is very appealing to me - not too long, not too short.

It would be so helpful to just be able to paddles some of these boats, but in the meantime all of your collective feedback and advice has been invaluable!

Size
By yourself, without the dog or gear the Illusion is on the large side for you, though fully manageable with proper technique. You’ll need to move about in the boat a bit more than you would in say a Flashfire. As for trying out the various boats; If you can make it to one of the symposiums (check the freestyle website) (www.freestylecanoeing.com) you’ll find many of them in one place with owners all too happy to let you try them. If you don’t make a decision before spring, The Western PA Solo Canoe Rendezvous is another excellent place to try out a lot of these boats. I’m in Western NY, not far from Hemlock Canoe Works or Colden Canoe. I have an Illusion here that you can try. During the same trip, you could visit Colden and Hemlock.

and bring your dawg
at least to Solo Canoe Rendezvous… The dawg certainly is the wild card and only you can decide how important your canine friend is when you use the boat.

Lucy put up with the Aria but on long trips she preferred the Raven by Swift which is a way big boat for me.

Just consider that in the long run you may want a boat aimed at FreeStyle and another larger "go ahead " boat for you and your dogs outings.

And I hope that the information we have given you does not lead to information paralysis

When you embark on your canoe phase, there will likely be several boats in your fleet over the years.

This has been a great
learning experience thus far- thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions and share your thoughts.

@mornstein - thanks for your generous offer of a test paddle. I may take you up on it as I will be passing through your area next month. If the timing works that would be great. I will email you.

@Kayamedic - haha, not to worry, I got all of the info organized in Excel this morning so I think I have a handle on it now. Just need to fill in a couple of holes. Appreciate your thoughts on the dawd conundrum as well!

Still hoping to get something soon enough to enjoy some fall paddling, but that may not be realistic if I buy new. Hoping for the best though…

You are welcome to paddle
The Wild and Dragonfly here

Not sure where you are in NH but I’m about an hour east of North Conway

Bring dog!

I know the boats are. Too big for you but there is nothing like messing around in boats!

You are not far at all
I am 30 minutes south of North Conway. I would love to head over your way to play even though those aren’t the exact boats I will end up with. Thanks for the offer!