Solo Kayaking Advice?

handheld floating
Saltwater paddlers will tell you how to maintain it. I prefer the ICOM models, once in awhile you can find them on sale new on Ebay.

Handheld VHF
You can look for one short enough to put on your PFD, the current preference, or get a bigger one that you can clip to the rigging on the boat. Look for one with a high submersible rating so that you don’t have to worry about stuffing in into a bag.

skills class
Don’t know if you would be interested or how far away this would be for you, but one of the kayakers active here in one of the Pittsburgh paddling MeetUp groups has arranged a discounted all day skills class on the Saturday before Labor Day (May 28) on Lake Erie just South of Buffalo at Evangola Park. It will be taught by a female ACA and BCU certified instructor and will cover paddling techniques, self rescue and assisted rescues. Here is the link to the event (cost is $200 for the day). I’ve registered myself.

http://www.meetup.com/Western-PA-Kayaking/events/229911870/?rv=ea1

only you can decide for yourself

– Last Updated: Mar-31-16 8:19 PM EST –

what is an acceptable risk and what is not. You get to make your own decisions and weigh the factors.

For me the ideal situation is being able to paddle a stretch of water I could comfortably do alone but then go out and paddle it with others. I find that more enjoyable than solo paddling. I'm just more at ease, relaxed.

I believe you're inherently safer in a group. Good paddling partners can be hard to come by and who you choose to paddle with can matter. Its not always about their skill set but it is also fellowship and spending quality time with others that you enjoy and its nice to have a large network of folks to paddle with so you can go when you want go.

Expand your paddling network and you'll find yourself going out less alone and learning more from others. The passion for paddling is contagious and should be shared.

Cool!
We are close in age (I’m 32). Nice to “meet” you! I’m a marine biologist by trade but have been working on my birding as of late :slight_smile:

If you ever decide to travel north,
send me a PM (personal message). I have a spare bedroom, live on the water, and am about 20 minutes from some beautiful very large inland lakes, as well as Lake Michigan.

Does your boat have two sealed bulkheads? If not, I have an extra one that does.

Sounds like a good time
I see that the OP is from Ohio so Lake Erie could be close. Here is another great option for Memorial Weekend in Western Michigan a little north of Muskegeon:

http://www.wmcka.org/symposium.php

Lots of good coaches and good people. I’ve attended for a number of years and will be volunteering for the third year.

Immersion Gear
Raz asked: I’m not familiar with immersion gear at all. Would you recommend this for all types of water? I’m going to go look into it around the forums right now.

Immersion gear includes anything that you will need to stay warm enough to survive in the water where you are currently paddling. My general rule is as follows:

1. Dress for the outdoor temperature, using gear that does not lose thermal protection when wet - this includes wool, polypro shirt, pogies or gloves. Since the upper body will be exposed to the elements, it will need to be protected at all times. If the outside temperature is comfortable in a t-shirt, a polypro shirt may be adequate.

2. To this add the following if the water is below 70F:

-3MM farmer john wetsuit

-booties, rubber boots, or other decent cold water protection for the feet

-pogies or gloves (depending upon outside temperature - hands often get wet and if there is wind and cool temperatures, these become a must)

-Spray Jacket (you may not need it at first, or at all, but bring same always - conditions change quickly - necessary if the conditions are cool and you’re wearing a farmer john as wind goes right through these unless they are wet)

-GoreTex (or other water insulating hat). I bought mine from Outdoor Research hat 30+ years ago and it is still the hat I wear whenever I’m outside in the rain. It was expensive then, probably cost more now, but well worth the price (same hat that you see Bill Nye use in his old TV show - he got his sense of style from me, poor sap).

-Sunglasses with restraining strap (not really immersion gear, but they need to be available should you capsize)

-PFD/External flotation - I wear my PFD always and it does provide some additional insulation on cold days (until you are submerged), at which point it just helps you float

If the water dips below 50F, a drysuit may be the only choice, depending upon individual. Some may do well in a 3MM farmer john in 45F water, but many, perhaps most, will not. Drysuits are the best thermal protection you can wear, and there are entire discussions on why folk love/hate their dry/wet suits. Find what suits you and protects you from the water temperature where you paddle and use it.

Others have different ideas on immersion protection, but I’m a very conservative paddler and give even more conservative advice online. You live as long as I, have experience making rescues in cold water, you begin to learn that, given the opportunity, nature will find and exploit weaknesses in skill, gear, planning, and preparation.

Rick

Out west…
It’s wild out here, Data, but never felt the need to carry a weapon in my coastal kayaking. Even most inland paddling (lakes/rivers) seem safe in California. East of here where some of them there open carry folk wander the wilderness areas, perhaps you are right on this :).

I did have a pair of hunters suggest to me that I should be careful as they would be shooting in the vicinity at Elkhorn Slough, and I kind of laughed at them. My ability to evade a shotgun blast in a kayak just CANNOT be equal to their ability to see the duck near my boat and NOT shoot.

Yeah, they have to do this by law, but to suggest that I’m responsible for their potential inability to manage their weapon did suggest that I might wish to fire back with something more than my middle finger.

Rick