Solo Tents

7 x 7 coleman
I picked up this tent 7 years ago and it is still holding strong. Roomy, light, durable and packs small. I found mine at BJ’s or Costco for $40.00. My friend found the same tent in great shape at a yard sale for $5.00.

I was set up for a week in 60 mile an hour winds during a storm and stayed dry and had room to hang in it.

good luck!

Carol

If I had my choice for a 3season 1 solo
tent right now it would be the MSR Hubba

If you are looking for 4 season buy the sentinel.

Heres my 2 cents
I have a REI Clipper which is a 2 man tent yet I agree that you realy will want the extra room when being solo. Its very compact and efficient yet is roomy enought to pack up gear and sit in if mother nature gives you her worst. That is the tent I use when I go kayaking and set up a base camp. When I do day trips from the base camp(in the Apostle Islands, where the weather can change quickly and may not be able to make it back to base) I carry a Eureka Backcountry 1 as my emergency tent.

Good luck .

Eureka Mountain Pass XT1
I have been using this tent for kayak camping for three years now and really like it.

tents
I also have been looking fo ra new tent. After trying a few out, the only real decision I’ve made is it has to use clips and not pole sleeves. I spent a frustrating afternoon fighting with an MSR Fusion 2 tent when a pole decided to come apart as I was setting up. Of course it could have to do with my 'technique, however poles don’t come apart with clips. It does make for a quicker setup and if it’s dark and wet, the quicker the better. Just my thoughts.

Rob

Thanks much…
Wow lots of good responses and ideas.

One of my concerns was that a solo tent would be too small. Will look at the Eurekas suggested and some of the lighter weight 2 person tents.

Currently have a SDdesigns Polaris Convertible which is nice for one, about 6 pds but is a 4 pole design which is a pain to setup myself especially if windy.

Considered Tarpin’ it but here in the Great Lakes when the Black Flies hatch the last place you’ll fall asleep is in a tarp…

Looks like Campmor has some great deals to check out…

I also have the clip flashlight
Very nice tent. I agree with everything the previous reviewer said. It’s biggest downfall is that it’s not free standing. But I’ve never had a problem w/not being able to stake it out.

SD customer service is very good from what I understand.

My Walrus Trekker Tarp…
…comes with a bug-netting, clip-in insert that stakes down inside the tarp. Makes kind of an a-frame shape. I would call it tight for two, but then I’m on the larger side.

I have a Quest Cornice III
3 person tent, made with aluminum poles. I bought this tent years ago when I was a single mom and had to put everything together solo. I could fit three people in this tent when my youngest was little, but it’s really a two person tent. It has some features that I really like if I was looking for a new tent: no-see-um mesh netting for viewing the sky, keeping bugs out, and ventilation, two side gear pockets and a mesh gear loft, and a really easy setup. You can also enter and exit from either side. It isn’t free standing, but with the aluminum poles the tent weighs just over 5 pounds. If I use the rain fly, it has two large vestibules that can be used for gear storage. It’s a really nice three season tent. Quest is no longer in the tent making business, but I have seen a few of their tents availble online as closeouts.

If I was in the market for a new tent, and was going to buy a solo tent, I would get a two person tent as the others have mentioned. I think the rei half dome has been reviewed favorably, and has stood the test of time, and is reasonably priced for such a good value. I would also check out these designs by kelty & eureka:

http://www.kelty.com/Kelty/index.cfm?fuseaction=Tents.Home

http://www.eurekacamping.com/zeusexo.asp

Check Backpacker magazine for online gear reviews.

I also wouldn’t hesitate to pick up any suitable tent at the right price if I was mostly planning to camp in good weather. I would just be careful to seal any seams. I have seen plenty of decent tents at outdoor world, etc. really cheap. Just be sure it doesn’t leak, and that you have enough room to sleep away from the tent walls, so you don’t get wet if there is any condesation.

here are some good ones,
These pack VERY small and lite.

http://www.golite.com/products/prodlist.asp?category=9

wide range on this page.

I know plenty of folks who use these and they have no trouble. In fact, I am testing two of them next week on a camping trip to see how well they work for different people in hot humid conditions…

REI half dome
I’ve got to endorse Jarvis’ (coyoteequip) recommendation. Have used mine for about a year and it is great. Good design, weight and price. As a matter of fact, I believe REI has it on sale now for about $80

Walrus, RIP
I have 2 Walrus tents - a light backpacking model (not freestanding) and a large 4 person model (perfect for 2 adults and 2 dogs with room to spare). I LOVE my Walrus tents! In the driving rain on the Current river last week I stayed nice and dry, and loved that I could take my rain suit off in the large vestible before entering the tent, so I never brought water in with me. They have all the quality little features that I just don’t see on newer tents, at least not for ones in my price range.

I have been lamenting for days about how I can’t find quite the right design of a new tent (I want a free-standing 2 person tent), but I just purchased a used Walrus on Ebay! And for far less than a new tent! Reportedly only used 2 times. I am so happy to add a new Walrus to my tent collection!

(Walrus was bought by MSR several years ago, and although several MSR tents were original Walrus designs, they’ve dropped most of their tents and the ones they sell cost almost twice as much with the MSR logo on it!)

This probably doesn’t help you unless you too want to look for a used Walrus tent. But I wanted to share my happy news!

A Very Happy Camper,

Heather