Solo Tripping

I will be in Pgh next week
before the middle Yough trip, and plan on hitting REI. Maybe they will have one of the MSR Reactors so we can once oand for all find out if the pot has a concave bottom that is difficult to clean.

(We spent quite a bit of time hypothesizing over this in the BWCA).

I see that Optimus has a new system with a dedicated heat-exchanger pot. Priced above the JetBoil but under the MSR.

Jim

both day-solos and a few multi-day…

– Last Updated: Jul-08-07 12:48 PM EST –

..if you have to ask the question "WHY solo?". Why would you want to know what's in the head of others? Joe_O mentioned "solitude"...exactly...but that's a taste that the individual has to acquire to appreciate...i think.
If you're a newbie, just try it a few times..."doing it" is just the physical part of it, that IS exciting if you view the physical part as something that nature seeks to change. After you get some sort of routine together then a solo outing/trip can be enjoyed more mentally.

gotrob

– Last Updated: Jul-08-07 7:08 PM EST –

I just thought of this: http://www.gotrob.com/solo.html

I emailed a long time ago, but I never got around to joining. I suppose that's the soloist in me.

Below is from his book about one of his solo trips. It's a great movie also. Worth buying.

To travel alone is risky business, especially into a wilderness; equally risky is to have dreams and not follow them. The risks I perceive, standing on the dock in Yellowknife, are palpable: during the next ten weeks, canoeing on a remote Arctic river,
I might throw my back out, break a leg, lose my canoe, get lost, or simply drown. Although these thoughts scare me, I remind myself that far to the south exists another world, equally hazardous but harder to visualize. There are many kinds of wilderness, not just this indifferent treeless tundra north of me. Facing the summer and all its unknowns, I consider myself lucky compared to some people back home.

nessmuking.com
IS a great site. Enjoying it very much!

When you trip solo, in remote areas, what do you take for protection, if anything? Areas such as Montana back country do you take a gun, knife, or just take precautions?

You can email me privately if you want. I am curious about this topic.

Always wanted to do a solo BWCA
trip. Since I was a kid, a Boy Scout. Been there once with a somewhat disfunctional group. Not good but loved the place. Finally after over twenty years I’ll be up there again, by myself and do a little adventure. I am more excited about this than anything for years. Not the first time to be out alone as I used to do a lot of solo motorcycle camping. But, a solo trip into the BWCA, a dream come true for me.

Thanks
Thanks for the compliment. I’m glad you enjoy the site. It’s my way of giving back to the sport that I enjoy so much.

As far as protection, I don’t really carry anything. I have a knife on my pfd, but it gets used to spread peanut butter. I’d be more concerned in polar bear country, and I’d probably take a rifle that could drop one if I was traveling there, but I haven’t made it that far north yet.

Nice
Write up a trip report after you come back!

I will do a trip report.
I should have time to take fotos and write down notes. BTW, I’m entering at Magnetic Lake. Site of the Ham Lake fire. Friends of mine have a cabin on Gunflint Lake and they are up there now. They rarely venture into the BWCA however. I saw pictures they took during the fire as well as the map of the fires coverage area. I appreciate the updates and info you provided while the fire burned. see ya later