Solo vs Tandem Speed

Is it wrong
to give a growing child steroids so that he will become a good paddling partner faster?

Was surprised this weekend
I knew that boat length is the main controlling factor for maximum hull speed, but figured with me in the backseat paddling and my 7 year old as dead weight in the front, I’d have trouble in the 12’ tandem keeping up with my wife in the 9’ solo. Actually, she had trouble keeping up with me, and found the paddling to be pretty effortless, except a little more course correction than I would normally expect with such a long boat. Then when I had my wife out on it with me, it paddled like a dream.

My Solo Plus faster tandem than solo.
It seems to go much faster with less effort when paddling tandem with my weak paddling wife than when I am solo in the center seat. The boat quite obviously moves faster when she is paddling than when she is resting. Maybe it’s just my imagination. Maybe it’s the boat design. I don’t have a gps to verify my observations.

SK mag stats as an example
http://www.seakayakermag.com/PDFs/Aug05Aquanaut_stats.pdf

In an Aquanaut, the wetted area increases from 19sf to 23.5sf with a doubling of weight from 150lb to 300lb.