Sore feet, paddling shoe solution?

g2d is close…
you probably have your pegs too close and the weight of your legs having a bend in them is pressing them into the pegs. Take your feet off the pegs occasionally to let the circulation return to them. But what has helped me more than anything is a piece of thick foam, used at the bend behind my kees. Provides support of the legs and keeps your feet from going to sleep. I discovered this by accident one day when I slipped two Plano boxes (used for fishing tackle) under my knees just to get them out of the way for a moment. The sensation of support back there made an immediate difference in how my feet felt down on the pegs. I rolled up a towel I had with me to cover the boxes and vowed to find a permanant solution very quickly. So now I use a piece of foam (4"x8" x 18"lg)and covered in a draw-string bag made from the leg of a pair of jeans.(many thanx to my seamtress child bride of 30 years) tucked up under my legs just behind my knees. Feels great, you guys should try it.

The last guy I paddled with
had that also, the foam under the knees that is. He also had foam blocks on the pegs. He never mentioned that it was because his feet got sore. He just said the foam on the pegs were because his legs were short and the foam under the knees were for support. I may have to take a closer look. I’ll try something temporary first.

Great ideas.

Paul S.

insoles
I use shaped insoles with arch support in all my paddling boot/shoes because of a bout with planters which translates to very tender feet. If your feet are falling asleep, you probably have a problem with your seat and/or lack of support for your thighs. Small adjustments to the seat or a small amount of extra padding in the right place should take care the foot numbness. Get it taken care of as the numbness is caused by pressure on nerves.

How about a padded bulkhead?
Although this would likely limit the number of folks who could use your boat…you can pad out a bulkhead…and possibly do it in a way so that you can stretch your legs out through a donut hole in the middle…

I have some foot problems and will be doing this when I build my Cirrus this Spring.

Bob

Reply to an OLD post but likely of interest still. I’ve also had issues with intermittent pain or soreness in the balls of my feet the last few years and have laboriously figured a few things out. One, there is a name for this: metatarsalgia. Basically, pushing on the (often small) pegs with enough force to drive through distance or big water can aggravate the nerves in your forefoot around your metatarsal bones. I’m good for about 3-4 hours on the water and then it gets hard to push the pegs without pain, sometimes hard to walk without pain after I exit. My podiatrist said he sees the problem in ballet and Irish dancers too. And foot pads thin with age. The “Sea-Lect” footbraces offer a bit larger peg than the Yakima if you want to try swapping out. Top Kayaker has them. Model SLD-K747100B-1. Yes, stiff soles with some cushion will help, arch support is good, thigh support as mentioned here. So will spreading out the impact as some suggested via a custom bulkhead padded with a bit of foam if you have a composite boat. Bear in mind TOO much foam is going to act as a shock absorber of the power you’re generating with your blade and trying to transfer to your boat. For a skegged boat, I have and like a footplate called the Skegfoot - a pricy Aussie import but flexible and light and would work for a plastic boat. I’ve put a 1" layer of closed cell foam on top of the plate. I’ve also ordered “metatarsal pads” that can be worn to further cushion my forefoot and think they’re a great addition to my normal shoes. I bought some stick-ons plus some “Zen Toes” that slip on your forefoot and have a thin gel pad. Summer (most of the year here) finds me in Chacos, winter I like Sloggers waterproof garden clogs over my wool socked drysuit foot. If you’ve aggravated your metatarsals rest and NSAIDs will help.

I like Vans the best but I put them on after I get in so they don’t get wet.

With laces? I’m not a fan of wearing shoes with laces or bungee in closed cockpit kayaks. I’ve seen someone get the bungee on a pair of Keen sandals caught on the foot peg during a wet exit. Not a big deal when the instructor is standing right there but could be extremely scary in a more “real life” situation.

I’ve had issues with foot pain on longer paddles as well. I have still not found the best shoe solution for long trips like the Everglades Challenge where I need something with support but that also dries quickly so that my feet aren’t wet for a week. Chacos are OK (I wear them all the time onshore) but can get chafy. The old Yakima foot braces are tiny and there are better options out there for sure. I have a big surfski style foot plate in my Mirage that is very comfortable.

No, Vans skateboarding slip ons

IMG_1633

2 Likes