Sore Shoulders

I think
Agongos msy be on the right track, but everyone IS different. I had a BIL who had rotator cuff problems. He could not raise hjis arrm over his shoulder, so from that, I would think the lower angle would be better.

hi scary

ā€“ Last Updated: Dec-18-07 10:52 AM EST ā€“

I had an rc tear a few years ago and coincidentally switched to a Swift (mid swift blade), and dropped my stroke a bit - sort of an in-between level. I agree with agongos, kudzu and trilobite here, focus on your torso rotation. But if that fails, a lower angle stroke worked for me. Another thing that seemed to help was the smaller shaft diameter.

On PT: don't cave to surgery just yet. I was well into my second pt after dropping the first, found a good one who used sport-specific exercises to treat, and it all worked out. There is no guarantee surgery will permanently repair the situation. And trilobite is right regarding reconditioning the shoulder, my PT had me doing work that built the smaller muscles around the shoulder, the larger muscles in my shoulders had previously been crowding them out. I've continued those exercises and switched to a light weight, hi -rep regimen focused on functional motions and muscle groups instead of isolation.

Finally - two years or so down the road, my shoulder has recovered completely. Keep up the pt and you can get there.

Good advice!
After a month of physio I have regained 30% motion and reduce pain to a point of no medication. Iā€™m smiling again! Also have just started massage therapy (right before physio), which is no picnic. I literally have to drink a huge bottle of gatorade after sweating through that.

Anyway, kayaking posture is of course important but oddly I firmly believe the work place is the worst for bad posture or whatnot. I am a computer graphic artist and see this in me and others, sitting at the desk for seven to eight hours a day in a static position. I blame this more than the sports for my shoulder injuries in some way. In fact I feel like just quitting and getting some kind of outdoor work like delivering mail or something. Who knows!

Over and out!