Sore wrist

Bearriver
Great comments. Thanks

Poleplant
No joke. Bldg a lean-to now. I have a rock wall to install and a concrete slab to pour. Killer jobs for me.I think my issues started when I dug a 30 ft trench 2 ft deep and approx 8 " wide for my electrical install. No other way of doing it. “Rest is Best”. I will postpone until I’m feeling much better. Thanks for your input.

EZ Water
Agree about the meds. Have a couple soft braces and saw the Doc. Thanks for your input.

PIKEABIKE
Agree about the remodel. Building a lean-to and done lots of digging, trenching, electrical and heavy lifting. Think it caught up with me. I did go to the Doc. Thanks for your time and insight.

Varmintmist
Haven’t tried a chiropractor. Good comments here about feathered and unfeathered paddles. Appreciate your comments. Thanks

Carldelo
I’m an electrician by trade so I’m with ya. Bldg a lean-to, think that and hand trenching for electrical done me in. Think the final straw was installing my deck compass. Good conversation about feathered and unfeathered paddles. Thank you for your input.

Slushpuppie
I am with you 100%. Been here before. Rest seemed to be the #1 antidote. Thank you for your time and input.

Datakoll
Agree With ya exception I love hamburgers. Can’t help it :slight_smile: Thank you for your input.

rjd
Great comments. Don’t think caused by paddling but will explore un-feathered paddle. Good conversation on this topic. Rest is best. Dr. did say no carpal tunnel. Thanks for your input.

RPG51
Seems the greenland is gaining momentum. Haven’t seen one out in PS but I’m sure they are out there. Thanks for your input.

EZwater
Thanks ez.

Thanks for the update
I had been wondering how you were doing. Great that it’s nothing serious and R&R will help.

I like the tip about heat prior to an activity followed up by ice.

Take advantage of the work break and heal well.

next week ?
try 2 months minimum ! good to read you have med help.

I spoke with an older paddler on the Lower Colorado suffering from wrist problems. He was distraught on wrist aging limiting paddling.

I intensified vise grip exercises expanding the grips into arm movements with wrist weights abt 5 pounds. Paddling movements and anti paddling movements while walking…added into stretching.

Have you visited EXRX.com ?

What did the hand Dr. say abt red meat ?

Really glad
You have an accurate diagnosis. Most of the advice we provided will help little with arthritis and your tendons, sadly. Dive gloves would offer you great support on the thumbs, but may not be very usable for paddling - tight neoprene offers a lot of splinting - but overall use of the hands and grip may be compromised. I have used them in the past with mixed results. In your case,perhaps they might be an option if the brace does not help enough.

Good luck,

Rick

Datakoll
Datakoll, two months-too long yikes!!Def will not push it however. Never heard of EXRX.com Great site. Going to spend tomorrow researching. Could help me out in other areas also. Lets just say I worked hard, played hard and now paying the price early into my retirement. Forgot to ask the DR about red meat amongst other things. We got distracted talking about life in general. I had heard about the correlation of red meat and arthritis. I’m on a low carb diet and have been successful with it so far. Lost some weight and first time ever my blood work came back with everything normal. I do need to cut back on the red meat but do eat lots of chicken and some fish. I appreciate you taking your time and input. Thank you again so much.

Rookie
Thanks for your input and thoughts. I’m on it.

RJD
I think the big thing for me will be rest. I have been doing some heavy duty stuff around the house and think I just seriously strained my wrists/thumbs. This happened before, last time staining my cedar fence 2 years ago. After a few weeks I was feeling much better. My joints are all loaded with arthritis so I just got to keep moving. I have tried scuba gloves while paddling but they actually hurt my hands. How bout those padded weight lifting gloves? Haven’t tried them yet, not sure they would work for me. I really enjoyed your dialog pertaining to an un-feathered paddle. Sounds like my reasoning may have been 180 deg out. Appreciate your comments and support. Thank you Rick.

get better

– Last Updated: Nov-07-14 10:43 AM EST –

I hate to say it but my recovery took well over two weeks. Maybe not two months, but certainly at least one. I'd be careful and ease back into things and back off if you feel anything at all, but it sounds like your doctor is on it.

Get better, I know how frustrated I was when I could rely on everything in my body except my wrists.

Reading material
If you have any time left after reading through ExRx.net, take a look at “Power to the Paddler” by John Chase. http://tinyurl.com/lepvdyh

John is an ACA Level 2 Coastal Kayak Instructor and NASM Certified Personal Trainer. He taught my ACA skills class this summer. A good teacher and when he revisits Northern Michigan next summer for another skills class, I’ll be there.

The $10 Kindle download was well worth the price. I like the book because it was written for paddlers and concentrates on variety of exercises to push, pull, bend, rotate, squat - plus cardio. They worked for me. Now I just have to garner the discipline to keep up/increase the program over the winter months.

Glad you went to the doc
With the arthritis, there’s more going on than what I figured was attributable to overuse.

Good luck recovering. Probably will run into you one of these days, hopefully fulfilling your goal of paddling the HC.