SOT Comparisons

don’t forget your wife… :slight_smile:
Hi

Just a suggestion that any boats you are trying for your wife could handle differently for her.

If it were me- I would want to be there too- seeing if it fit correctly, checking the comfort,weight, seeing how it paddled for me and etc. Perhaps you are checking the quality first and then she is the one in the seat. Not sure there, of course. If she has some sense of ownership of the boat choice, she might be more inclined to stick with the sport??

Just some food for thought! Good luck in your search.

Yes, No and Maybe
I’m trimming the list into definite “no’s” and “maybe’s.” The final “yes” will for her to decide.

The Liquid Logic Manta Ray seems to have the best ratings from numerous online sources but it is the least available for a true demo of any of those on my list.

Synergy
Make sure you try the MR Synergy. I’ve got a 14 and its an interesting boat. More maneuverable for me than my Manta Ray 14. Also its a very dry ride.

Synergy, Manta Ray

– Last Updated: Aug-01-07 10:41 AM EST –

I looked at and sat in a Synergy yesterday and was very interested in it. I haven't had a chance to demo one yet. Did you find that the footpegs were a little higher than normal?

All the online reviews of the Manta Ray put it near the top of the list in this class but there are no local retailers that demo them. I may post to see if there is someone in S Louisiana that has one I might could borrow (heck,maybe even rent for an afternoon) for a quick demo...there are several dealers that claim to sell tons of them over there but they don't readily do demos themselves.

I was less than impressed with all of the SOTs I tried yesterday. I'm starting to second guess my decision to go SOT and may be leaning towards getting a pair of nice rec SINKS (thinking Pungo, Dirigo or maybe even a Ketrel).

What's the primary use on your Synergy? I'm assuming your Manta Ray is your main fishing boat.

Actually, I don’t
fish at all. I got the Manta Ray because they took the prototype through some Class III rapids and were happy with it. Its my crossover boat, good for camping, whitewater (class I-II), and flatwater. Now, I have a Tarpon 160 that’s better on flatwater, but the MR 14 is a good all around boat. I bought the Synergy because it maneuvers better than the Manta Ray and because its an interesting boat. Yes, the pegs are high, I’ve talked to Mad River about it, don’t know if anything will happen. I put blocks on the floor to raise my heels up. Fits better now.

Supposedly

– Last Updated: Aug-01-07 2:28 PM EST –

there are plans in the works to lower those footpegs on the Synergy. Based purely on looks alone, I'd go with a Synergy...it's definitely something different. I think I'm going to try to line up a demo of it sometime soon.

have you checked out…
kayakfishingstuff.com yet? There appears to be a lot of information there about sot’s including lots of discussions about particular boats.

I have been thinking
about a SOT. I have an Approach, Acadia 12.5, and Loon 120 and am thinking about the next addition to my fleet. :slight_smile: I am 6’ 220#. Any opinions about which 12 foot SOT is the best as far as speed and maneuverabilty goes? I float/fish primarily streams with a mix of flat sections and I’s and II’s. Initial stability is not quite as important to me as performance. On occasion I will hit the larger lakes with boat traffic. The Synergy intrigues me but the lack of substantial dry storage concerns me. Thanks.

Almost forgot…my GF is 6’ 140# (yes 6’…she was a college hoops star:)Any different suggestions (if any) using the criteria above for her?

As far as I’ve seen,
dry storage quite often isn’t. Most people will recommend using dry bags even if you have “waterproof” hatches.

So far all of my boats
dry storage have held up well but I hear ya. I put my keys, wallet, etc. in a baggie inside a dry bag, inside the dry storage for that triple protection. LOL!!

Dry bags, dry storage, Synergy
Even in my triple sealed Manitou hatches, I still put stuff in a dry bag. Keeps it organized as well as insures it will stay dry.

I had the same thoughts on the Synergy. Those storage wells in the front and back are pretty deep…it would be difficult to drain even without any gear in it.