Source for Nexus mounting hardware

That’s what…
I’ll probably what I’ll do too. Do you kayak the Apostle Islands?

Thanks everybody for the suggestions! Bill

I give up…
Without looking at one… and I’m not taking mine apart.

Apostles?
Apostle Islands? Yep - be there in a week!

Shim Up OK
I think I understand the issue now and I see no reason why you cannot raise the brass bracket the compass sphere is attached to in order to be able to see the compass properly by adding a shim under it. The problems arise when the compass sphere is tightly fitted and presses against the recess or is sealed/glued down. I would use a inflxible material for the shim as the brass bracket has to compress to keep the compass sphere from rotating too easily.

You’re missing a critical part
The 70P comes with the ball, a plastic top plate and a brass bottom plate. The ball is sandwiched and suspended between the two plates, which hold it above the bottom of the recess. Without the bottom plate, it’s not going to work.

It sounds like this is a used compass, so I suggest you contact the seller and as for the part. If it was used for a long time, particularly in salt water, the brass plate have have corroded and broken when the compass was removed, which may explain why you didn’t get it. Unfortunately, the compass is useless without it. Perhaps you could make one, but it will take some effort. You could also contact Brunton, the current manufacturer, and see if you can buy the missing part.

That explains it
You made it clear to me what the problem might be. I wondered why he talked of brass rings instead of the brass mounting plate. I thought the rectangular brass plate could not be removed from the compass sphere. If it is missing, then it all makes sense as there is a brass ring attached to the compass sphere if memory is correct.