South East Coastal Kayaking Help

Hood Canal
Pikabike,

Haven’t done much paddling on that section of the Hood Canal. I use to get my tanks filled up at Mike’s and dive Octopus Hole and catch crabs at Potlatch but that was a long time ago. I have launched at Belfair and paddled to Twanoh, and also launched at Twanoh and paddled around the great bend to Potlatch but that is as far north I’ve been on that portion of the canal. I usually play in this section (Belfair to the Great Bend). You do have the Tridents a little further north so you know how that goes. US Navy doesn’t mess around. Have launched at the bridge and paddled around the Shine Tidelands and Port Gamble. Only problems I ever encountered were high winds. Not sure if it’s always windy there or just my luck. If there is a suitable launch site, I don’t think there should be any issues. I am hoping to paddle the whole canal this summer. Have to do some research.

Savannah
I will third about what the others said about the tides. Some of the put-ins are pretty sloppy at low tide too. I’ll also drop Savannah Canoe and Kayak into the thread too for outfitting advice.

Local knowledge on tides, winds and swell is very valuable or else you could end up high and dry for hours in pluff mud in the high marsh or facing the full fury of the Triangle. Savannah has the highest tides in this region too so it can add to the fun or delay your return so plan accordingly. Of course, thunderstorms are a threat during the Summer. Also, Tybee Island gets psychotically crowded during the Summer.

If you’re in the open waters of Ossabaw or Wassaw Sounds, be aware that the seas can go from mirror smooth to 5 foot sloppy crap very quickly with no warning.

That being said we have a huge variety of places to paddle to handle folks of all skills and wants. Of course, I’m biased to Savannah since I live here, but anywhere from Charleston to just North of Jacksonville offers very similar low country paddles.

Outer Banks kayaking
GREAT kayaking. You can choose between the Atlantic Ocean or the more protected rivers and sounds. The backwaters are quiet and fairly sheltered. Since you are, pretty much, surrounded by water, plenty of choices. Anyplace you stay is good. Kitty Hawk has a public boat launch that is close to everything. Good luck.

Cape Lookout National Seashore
has plenty of places to paddle and camp. Beautiful scenery. IMO, Best bet is to drive to Harkers Island, NC and paddle from there.

Wild ponies, great fishing, camping, and untouched beaches.