Spare kayak paddle

Same here

– Last Updated: Mar-16-10 1:32 PM EST –

I always carry it, always in the same place. That way I can find it when I'm upside-down with my eyes closed...and have on a few occasions.

spare
Back deck under bungies, thinking about moving it to the front deck and picking up some North Water paddle britches.

Years ago I went on a trip with about 16 people, the person who called the trip looked over everybody’s kayaks at the launch site and quietly thanked me for bringing a spare. We were the only with two spare paddles in the group. Yes I’ve been on trips when paddles were lost or broken and we used a spare.

Also I use a spare that I’m willing to paddle with, not something heavy or too long. I once broke my paddle on the second day of a week long trip in Maine and used my spare that was 10cm longer than my primary for the rest of the week.

Always carry spare 2-piece
Under my front bungies. Shaft forward, blade just in front of the cockpit, so surf and waves grab it less. I’ve learned the need for a ready spare, the hard way. I practice pulling one half out, while underwater, rolling up with that.

usually
I usually carry a spare but It’s not really a spare because I used it all the time. It is a single blade. Usually a 48 bent shaft rock beater blade on the front deck.

Saved my life!
A few years ago a buddy popped a blade off on a shallow rock. Neither had brought a spare for a short day paddle. He single bladed back.

A few weeks ago I dumped in ice water, it was a very close thing. There may be an article in Sea Kayaker someday. It’s a long story but by the time I self rescued I was hypothermic. The boat had about 3" of water and I was at least 1/2 mile upstream from the car. I was unsteady enough I decided to leave the paddle float on my GP. My spare was on the front deck, had it been hard to reach and I went over again I wouldn’t be here.

That made me believe in a couple things. As I said hopefully I’ll get to discuss it more in an SK article. Then you all can join the long line of people telling me about my mistakes. Which I knew beforehand by the way.

SYOTR

Randy

Yes
thanks to the good discussion on this board last year.

on the front deck is a two piece gp I can alternate w. my Euro, for fun & practice. The gp is esp nice & compact on the deck.

Like Celia, I incorporate tubes to hold the ends securely on the front deck. My twist uses paint rollers w. a stiff core & very soft nylon bristles, lighter than PVC, easy to drill & never a scratch the deck.

As for carrying spare paddles or anything on the rear deck, no go. The rear deck is a rescue platform, if not for me then in case I need to paddle w. a swimmer on deck. Yup it did happen IRL, once w. a kayaker, again w. a biathlete. It is something I practice, like paddling w. a flooded cockpit. Never know when it could be a help.

I much prefer an easy forward reach to the front deck to scrabbling around w. a hatch or under the skirt, esp. if I am on the water & there are other things demanding my attention.

Spare

– Last Updated: Mar-17-10 1:03 PM EST –

Lot's of good answers here. The important thing is that everyone has thought through their needs and scenarios and come-up with a solution that works for them.

I always carry a spare under the bungies on the rear deck. I can pull 1/2 out and roll even upside down. It's a little more difficult from the rear deck, but I need the front deck clear for other stuff. When paddling any distance, I like to use a small deck bag. By the time I have the deck bag, a water bottle, etc. under the front bungies... the spare paddle could get tangled-up in the stuff on my front deck.

I carry a spare that I don't mind paddling for a while. My spare complements my normal paddle. I have a large blade paddle for surf and speed and a smaller bladed paddle for distance and winds. I switch between the two as appropriate. Given conditions, the less appropriate paddle becomes the spare.