spare paddle... for me or for you?

Spare
Just carry a spare tow system. If someone loses or breaks their paddle, hand them yours and the tow belt and let them pull you back:-)

Seriously, I don’t think it is necessary for everyone on a group trip to have a spare everything. On your typical trip, is yours the only spare or does someone else have a euro? How much does it really bother you to have a euro as a spare? Are there other paddlers in the group who would be comfortable with your GP spare so you could do a 3-way switch? How serious conditions are you talking? How far from a bail-out point? I think all those things are important parts of the risk management and decision making process.

Spares
What I’ve seen…

You need to carry the spare in your vehicle and not with your boat.

I’ve seen several people have paddle issues at the put in. Not on the water. Last night a woman showed up at pool practice with no paddle. A couple years ago my buddy shows up at the put in with two male ends of his / his wife’s paddles.

Most always carry at least 3 padles and
spares of other things too. All with the idea that if I do not need it someone else may. Just the way I am.

Oh yeah, I do take some harassing about over packing, but have never heard a complaint when someone needs something they forgot, broke, or lost.

:^)

Mick

Well put Jed.

Yep, that was me last year
I still remember how quick I always was to hand back a proffered GP until I carved my own. I was sure there was no way that little thing could keep me upright if I needed to brace.

My how things change. I have a nice new CF 4pc. euro that I purchased at almost exactly the same time as I finished my GP. I never would have imagined that I wouldn’t be using it as my primary paddle.

Now I can use either, but vastly prefer the GP. I bring the euro as a spare on group paddles unless everyone I’m paddling with paddles GP.

I would rather have a spare that anyone could use, and I don’t think that’s true for a full size GP or a storm. It wouldn’t be nearly the challenge for me to use my $$$ CF paddle, compared to throwing a GP to someone who had never touched one in conditions that caused a paddle to be lost or damaged.

Good post, something I’ve also thought about a lot lately.

My sentiments exactly
My primary paddle is a Lendal Nordkapp all carbon modified crank. My “alternate” paddle on board is a Lendal Powermaster with yellow chip resistant blades. Same lengths, same feathers. If conditions are such that something has happenned to my primary paddle, I want the bigger blades, in high visibility yellow with reflective tape and added durability and strength.

Needed spare tonight
Broke my newest GP in the pool tonight :frowning: Missed my roll, kind of fell out of the cockpit when I tried with half the paddle, wet exited mad - double :frowning:

Did a wet rentry and rolled up with half the GP and a boat full of water. This is the second paddle I have broken - I think it’s good to carry a spare on the boat!

~wetzool

a gp on flat water when all is kind

– Last Updated: Mar-31-06 9:39 PM EST –

or a gp when the stuff is ON, and somebody who you "lead" is scared tired and near the limits of folding?

Could It happen?

comment
Hey A,

The problem I had once is that they guy in the water had a hard time staying up again with the euro. I don’t really WANT to carry a euro spare either, but in the conditions you are most likely to need it, (ie someone goes over and loses their paddle in the melee), would they be able to use the GP efficently or would they end up back in the water and loose you’re nice GP as well? Just a thought.

both
I went out with 9 newbies yesterday and I carried a spare aquabound set on the foredeck along with my storm paddle, Front deck was a little cluttered but I felt it necessary considering the situation.

Being in conditions or rough water would define the type of paddle you are with (I hope) and I would assume that each and every one would have a spare paddle at the very least. (I like the hand paddle idea…anyone tried chillcheaters hand paddles?)

Anyway, while I would never not give my spare to someone that was in trouble, I would imagine that 99% of the time I would need a spare would be for me in conditions (as it probably would be for everyone else) and would carry my storm paddle which I am very comfortable with.

As Kudzu said…all of this should be predetermined at the put in and everyone should have their own spares before you go out in conditions.

Paul