Speaking of rapids

The Walter
Cronkite impersonation was kinda interesting and I am thinking he put a little more effort into finding a line than I would have. Of course I never ran that section with water that low… yet. I watched a few more of his clips and I think that is just the way he talks to his camera.

He got some nice shots that are why camping that river is fun IMHO. Coming off a island camp near and the you can only see 150’ and are paddling in the fog, cool.

Yeah
I want to check out the other videos later. It does look like a nice place.

He did analyze that rapid awfully thoroughly though!

computer enhanced grading
Classed at an average flow rate for the specific river’s boating season by an intelligent perspicacious seasoned paddler.

Look at your river choice with Google Earth, American Whitewater, then if possible walk on down to a II or III relating reality to what you read and saw. Call the local shop after consulting Google Images for river and location on the river. There’s a photo (s) of your choice.

A lot depends on ‘gradient.’ Read about gradient and white water.

If the river’s course is steep, a II may develop hi rolling standing waves…eyehhahhhahahhha!..but if not steep maybe flow dams up and the II disappears: boring.

There are canyon rivers where water roars down carrying you to the Pacific and river where water polls behind gravel bars eases over one to the next.

By the time you begin developing skills for all III’s that is a II requiring maneuvering not just going straight thru but maneuvering IN the rapid then the acceptable or use able flow range for you, both lower than average and higher broadens substantially.

You’ll maneuver effectively at lower flows forcing more channel on you and then blunder thru at higher flows.

A classification seen in Google Images is ‘after the flood.’ Bank full creeks in forested country often produce danger from downed trees.

Yeah, that
If the river’s course is steep, a II may develop hi rolling standing waves…eyehhahhhahahhha

Utube !
I don’t utube often but it does giggle.

Here’s an example of a III in a pushy II river section. For a white water canoe paddled by an intermediate paddler or an expedition canoe with a skilled paddler(s).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N5BJfDxvH4

Class III?

– Last Updated: Jun-21-14 6:52 AM EST –

I don't think so…

There may be a class III line in there somewhere, but it's not the route that raft took.

(or maybe you are just kidding - I can't tell)

from aw
" Boulder Drop lurks just downstream (within site of Anderson Hole) and is easily recognized by the large mid-channel boulders.

Those just getting their feet wet with class III should portage Boulder Drop (the easiest portage route is on river left along the should of the road). Although it may look deceptively easy at lower water levels the series of moves required to negotiate the rapid is not trivial. This rapid is identified in the American Whitewater safety code as a IV+ standard at 5,000 cfs. Those who have solid class III experience and are ready to start class IV normally start running Boulder Drop at levels of around 2000 cfs or less after a careful scout from river right and with back-up from expeienced paddlers. There are two basic routes used to run Boulder Drop. Both start by entering the rapid on river right through one of a couple possible chutes and then eddying out at the first big eddy on river right. Paddlers are then faced with the Picket Fence, a series of boulders that are lined up across the width of the river. The major routes through the Picket Fence are Airplane Turn or Ned’s Needle. The Airplane Turn requires a hard ferry to river left, while Ned’s Needle requires a precise line up for the narrow slot (video clip). The reversal at the base of Ned’s Needle can create problems if you don’t clear the base of the drop with a good boof and at lower levels the Dragon’s Back appears on the left side of the chute leading away from the Needle. At higher levels a third option becomes available in the form of a sneak route on river right. The final section of the rapid includes a series of large waves and holes run just left of the ominous House Rock. There is a good eddy line for squirt moves in the pool below Boulder Drop. The whole rapid can be viewed from the road between milemarker 34 and the Anderson Creek bridge."

that’s what aw says- which is only as good as the person posting the info

You might try the Schroon, which is near
the upper Hudson in NY. About half of the Schroon is dead flat. The other half is class 2+ wave trains from a quarter to a mile long, with no real opportunity for bailing. I was lucky to be in a boat designed for the Grand Canyon, so I never took water.

example 2 - 3

I looked for an example not a tour guide. I haven’t seen the river…only the road and video.

I see a sneak route as in AW but what I do not see effectively is the drop distance…I’ll take that as a future warning for watching WW videos.

Google Images is accurate playing against the video.

http://goo.gl/F92KX6

raft line

The raft folk are on the Skykomish not the Grand Canyon ?

http://goo.gl/G1Uj9w

One way it looks like a III to me
From most descriptions I’ve read, it seems that once the waves are big/steep enough to swamp an open canoe, it’s likely to be a Class III instead of a II. There are plenty of spots there that would swamp an open canoe.

The ww kayak crowd don’t pay attention
to swamping conditions, for obvious reasons. There are a number of “class 2” rapids on the Nantahala that will fill an open boat in no time.

Send $5 for a copy of my Open Boat Sneak Routes on the Nantahala.