speed descent mississippi

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas about where I could find information about speed descents of the mississippi? I am most interested in how fast people have kayaked the river solo from start to finish. Thanks,

Joe Forrester

One Place to Look
Check out the trips made by Verlen Kruger. I think at one time he even broke the Mississippi speed record while going upstream, but I’m not certain. In any case, the times he posted will be tough to beat.

Record
Not sure about solo but I know two people who have held the world record including the current record in 2003

From Lake Itasca to Mile Zero: 2340 Miles held by Bob Bradford and Clark Eid in 18 days, 4 hours and 51 Minutes.

In 2001 Verlen Kruger and Bob Bradford beat the previous record set by Kruger years before but there was some descrep due to the coast guard making them stop and layover due to floodwaters. There time was 23 days and Verlen was 79 years old!!!

Verlen held the world record too prior with Valerie Fons in a time of 23 days, 10 hours, 23 minutes when Kruger was in his 60’s.

If you google “mississippi challenge” “the great mississippi river race for rett syndrome, 2001” they had a website up with race details not sure its still up but im sure theres plenty of media on it still.

Not sure its ever been tempted solo as far as a record.

Go for it.

thanks
thanks a bunch.