speed T165/ch16/romany/force3/montauk

I’d add Celia
that the last comment is only a function of what one is used to. The designers of the CH 16 are not small guys, nor are many who paddle it. Again, when you are getting thrashed upside down, or endered in surf, you will APPRECIATE that snug cockpit. If you are the type of paddler who will understand that boat you are probably already used to snug surf boats, etc.

It’s all relative. At 210 lbs.w thick legs my 16 is padded and has WW thigh hooks. So it’s a matter of taste. This is another reason why it’s probably too specialized for many. The 17 is more a general boat, and more market friendly.

I’ve been waiting…

– Last Updated: Mar-28-08 2:37 PM EST –

...on a post concerning CH16 speed. I have had my C16 for several months and I live far, far away from the ocean :(

I found the boat brand new at a ridiculous price, so I had to buy it.

I am 6'0" 220lbs. I am pushing the performance limit for this boat but I have lost 17 lbs. since Feb. 11th, so in a few more weeks I should fit nicely. That being said, it is slow. I sometimes feel like I am really dragging when I get in water with no chop. Overall though, I am happy with the boat. It is an excellent kayak to nail down your skills in. I take advantage of the manuverability by using the boat to navigate small creeks and shallows. I realize that is the complete opposite of what it was designed for, but I take what I can get. I will finally have it in the ocean during a trip to the Gulf next month, so I am excited to see how it handles in some rough water.

As others have stated, I have no reason to go fast. I am not racing. I paddle to relax and slow the world down, not speed it up.

Since I do paddle on lakes and rivers, I will eventually go with a boat designed for that type of water, but for now, the CH16 works perfectly.

Josh

Nah… I was being literal

– Last Updated: Mar-28-08 3:17 PM EST –

Agreed that the more snug feeling is an acquired taste for many, but I was being literal.

Our paddling group includes a couple of 6'4" guys who physically can't get thru the Vela cockpit. Of course, considering how deep she is sitting in the water with those who are scraping the sh&t out of their shins to even get in, I suspect that she'd become a submarine with these two. This is one of those "small paddler's boats" that really is.

I am kinda itching to get into a Chatham 16 again now with the back and forth about where the boat fits best. It's been at least a few years, and that was only a demo on flat water. It's more volume than me, but if it's playful enough I should still be able to make it move a bit.

For your size
grab a composite Eliza. NOT to be confused with the poly Eliza which is a different boat, design.

The comp Eliza is better suited for your size, very efficient, highly playful, surfs very well.

You will be too light to agequately load the edges on the 16. The Eliza will perform superbly in big seas for you.

thanks
Thanks for all the various opinions and insights. I’ve had a Chatham for several years, and I am happy with it. The basis for my question, was I read somewhere recently (maybe in the archives here, maybe somewhere else…can’t actually remember…but there was a comment the jist of which was the Tempest was not designed as a “fast” boat, but it was much faster than the Chatham which was very slow. I just started wondering if there would be any appreciable difference in speed in these and similar styled boats which are good at many things, but not advertised or perceived as “fast”. My guess was that there would not be a big difference, but figured asking might give me some insights I had not considered. Does this make me a troll?

Since you gave more info

– Last Updated: Mar-28-08 4:41 PM EST –

No, not a troll. But these speed questions among very similar boats get rediculous after awhile. Words like "much" faster, or "very" are silly, when both real world data, and the techy stuff that some fear show very little actual difference.

Just paddle and take that boat where it will shine. It's one of several boats out there that will offer you a secure journey into rhealms beyond what you currently may not understand, and certainly the flat water speed-tourer talkers won't ever get.

Paddled My Explorer Next to Chatham
The Chatham 16 moves along just fine on “flat” water. Kept up with me in my Explorer and my buddy in his CD Gulfstream.

I took the Chatham for a spin and liked it well enough. I didn’t feel it to be slow, but I think the Romany is even slower and more fun.

The Chatham seems to have reasonable speed and turns well.

Snotty Seas
A very well known paddler, closely identified with NDK, confided to me that he thought the Chatham 16 was the best hull in “snotty seas.”

Agreed