Speed vs. Length Tradeoffs, 16-18 feet..

Source(s)?
I am curious about the source or sources for the given drag figures.

I have found that different sources often give very different figures for the same boats.

Interesting Numbers
I was surprized and a little perplexed at the fact that the numbers do not track across the board. Some of the drag numbers are lower for boat A Vs B at one speed then change to higher as compared to the same boat at a differant speed.

Mark

OR…how about a…
home-built boat?

It sounds like you might REALLY like the Night Heron, a boat designed by Nick Schade (www.kayakforum.com). There are reviews of this boat in the Product Reviews section. If you aren’t being transferred for awhile…you can either build or have someone build you this boat. It is fast…has adequate enough initial stability and great secondary…tracks well and maneuvers well. Nick designed a strip model and an sng. I am currently building a hybrid Night Heron.

Another great choice might be Joe Greenley’s Return.(http://www.redfishkayak.com/return.htm )

This is a very fast boat as well.

There is a fellow in the San Diego area who has built about 15 boats…including a sng Night Heron and strip Night Heron…and another one of Joe Greenley’s boats, the King. Let me know if you want to contact him.

Couldn’t help but throw in some other options…

Enjoy…

Bob

Valley Rapier
I would be more than happy to take one for the team and provide a thorough test and review of the Valley Rapier.

All donations can be sent to me via Pay Pal :slight_smile:

That’s typical
Shorter boats have less wetted surface (gross generalization, there are exceptions) so do a little better at slower speeds where hull friction dominates. Longer boats quickly surpass at higher speeds where the hull-speed factor begins to dominate.

Note that the advantage of shorter boats at slow speeds is quite subtle, though. Not a compelling reason to pick a shorter boat, in itself.

Mike

I’m a 4mph paddler
so you guys are way out of my league.

Yes
Mike,

Yes that makes sense now that I think about it.

Mark

Q700 numbers…
… - at least the only ones I’ve ever seen published - are old - and for a heavily loaded boat. Does that matter? Ask anyone who used to own a Glider and now owns a 700. Number would indicate Glider is faster. Owners say otherwise. Almost NO ONE paddles the 700 loaded for a long trip as it was originally designed to do (which has resulted in two cockpit moves since those number as well).

FWIW

Trainer Kayak
Try also the KayakPro Jet

at www.kayakPro.com