spot

I didn’t realize that Andrew McCauley
was carrying an EPIRB on his final trip. I don’t recollect that it was ever mentioned during the Nat. Graph. special about his crossing attempt or in the information provided on his website. I always wondered why he was not equipped with either a EPIRB or PLB for such a risky endeavor.

Andrew was no fool
and he knew the risks and he prepared for them.

It was a combination of bad luck and sheer exhaustion that might have claimed his life.

Australian Maritime law calls for an EPIRB on vessels more than 2 nm from shore in open water.

While EPIRBS are excellent safety devices and have saves plenty of lives their current sheer bulk makes them not as suitable for kayaking.

I have challenged the regulation myself but the reply I have received is that I must carry an EPIRB if more than 2 nm from shore. However the officer replying to my email mentioned that they will consider reviewing that regulation at the next scheduled meeting (early 2009). I hope that the law makers will realize that despite an EPIRB being superior to a PLB the practicality (and cost) of an individual to carry both is not feasible.

I hope that a relaxation in the current regulation will be achieved to then have more sea kayakers carry a safety beacon that actually fits with their needs

Please don’t get me wrong…

– Last Updated: Dec-11-08 5:47 PM EST –

I never said or even thought Andrew was a fool. He did have a tad higher tolerance for personal risk acceptance than most of us average-joes, but certainly no fool.

OK, I now understand that there is a marine law in place the specifies an EPIRB be carried for trips greater than 2 nm offshore, but I never heard from any source that Andrew actually had one.

BTW, does this regulation apply to all boats? For example in the U.S. there is no requirement that a kayaker carry a VHF radio, even if they operate offshore, but power boats over a certain size must have one.

Thanks.

tvcrider, I did not mean
saying that you doubt Andrew being well prepared. I was just emphasizing that he did go to great lengths to carry out his attempt of crossing the Tasman (which in my opinion he actually did, he just failed to land the last day…)

He did indeed carry an EPIRB that unfortunately was stowed below deck that he did not have time to access and set off before he got into trouble. Most likely that would have not been the case if he had a PLB on his PFD.

He did made radio contact with the Coast Guard but somehow the rescue mission was delayed because initially was thought to be a hoax. Sad turn of events for one of the most audacious sea kayakers our sport had.