Spray skirt comparison for homemade boat

Yost "seat"
One problem people often have with the Yost “seat” is they make the seat out of too thick a material that has little or no flex. With a fairly thin material it’ll flex a little on waves and cushions the ride, a little at least.

I’m planning on working on a fabric sling seat for these boats, Tom used to use them but got away from them and doesn’t remember why (it’s not just me ). Sling seats have the chance to make a very comfy seat that’s also very low in the boat adding stability.

Bill H.

1/2" white pine, I think
I think I made the seat out of 4 strips of 1/2" white pine. I sat on a couple at the big orange box store and less than 1/2" flexed just a little too much for my liking - I was afraid I’d end up with a splintered but in the wrong situation!

How would the sling seat work with the wood down the keel?

First use of I/R Excursion
I used the I/R excursion skirt (XL size) for the first time this past weekend. I don’t roll (yet), so I had to entertain myself with playing off of the bow of my friend’s boat.

With a handful of laying on my side in the water, on both sides, in the boat I got probably a quart of water or so, maybe a little more.

The skirt’s snug to put on and fits pretty well. My biggest area of leakage appears to be immediately beside of my body.

I’m going to keep it. We’ll see how much water it lets in while rolling and at that point, if it’s really problematic, I’ll have them make me an all neoprene-Shockwave (I think).