Spray skirts.... (a reluctant question)

Coaming edge
Try adding some auto door guard trim around the edge. The smallest cheapest stuff us usually best, and invisible if you have a black coaming (or look for clear).

Makes the coaming more hand friendly, gives a bigger edge to seal on, holds skirt better, yet is noticably easier to get on and off.

Skirts for the Tempest
First of all, if the coaming of your 170 is the same size as that of the 165, which I think it is, a stock SnapDragon neoprene-decked skirt will fit your kayak. No need to go custom. I think mine (I have a 165) is the Medium but I’m not at home now. I can check later if you want.

That’s the SPRAYDECK size. There’s also a TUBE size, which can be different (e.g., a medium deck with a small tube). Like spraydecks, the tube can be made of either woven nylon or neoprene. Unlike spraydecks, the tube can also have a combination of the two, which I will describe shortly. The tube should be fitted to you, not to the kayak (and no, I’m not trying to talk down to anyone–just trying to avoid someone making an expensive mistake!)

I have SnapDragon skirts in both the suspender style and the combo style.

The suspender type is terrific for hot weather, because you have the choice of wearing it either under the PFD or over it. Over is cooler, because a large tube will be open at the top, providing good ventilation. Worn that way, it’s good for keeping out spray but not the best way to go for rolling practice. For the latter, you will want to snug the PFD down over the tube.

The combo style I mentioned earlier has (neoprene spraydeck and) nylon tube topped with a huge band of neoprene-Velcro. This band is stretchy and can be further adjusted to snug around your waist. I prefer this style to the suspender style for its better watertightness when rolling.

My suspendered skirt is finishing its 4th year of regular use and still in good condition. That’s why I bought a second Snapdragon skirt. In the unlikely event you DO need custom sizing, it costs only about $10 or $20 more.

There. Take THAT!

NIghthawk Skirt Size
I too found the recommended size for Snapdragon skirt to be too small for my Nighthawk, and had to go to the next larger cockpit size. Always try before you buy if possible. Don’t rely on recommendation alone.

Paula

Tunnel Customization for Females
Females beware - if you are short-waisted or heavy-breasted, pay attention to tunnel height. I had a SnapDragon skirt made with the tunnel shortened as much as they could - I’m both short-waisted and heavy-breasted, and had to roll my tunnel down a good three inches. Double neoprene around my waist was too much - the custom tunnel is great! Good cheap customization.

Paula

What about IR?
Immersion Research makes some pretty nice skirts…worth checking out!

I’ll second the Wildwasser…
love the tapered tube, couldn’t live any longer without the deck pouch, and the durability is excellent.

Bright coloured release strap reinforced with a plastic tubing makes exits a breeze.

Wonder if they’ll build a custom for a feller’s cedar strip?

Holmes

I had one about 2 months ago.

– Last Updated: Oct-15-05 3:40 PM EST –

Edit:
"The subject should have said 2 years ago."

The neoprene was way too thin and it had holes start appearing in it after about 3 months of use.

My Wild Wasser is about 1 1/2 years old. They replaced my original one after 2 years because a couple of pinholes were starting to appear on the deck behind me.

They said it was a warranty issue and switched neoprene suppliers.

Did I ever thank you for …
…that tip.

Last year the day after you told us we stopped at that K-mart in Key Largo and got the small stuff in the auto department and it has been on both our QCC’s ever since.

Works great - Thanks,

Cheers,

JackL

Spray skirt color

– Last Updated: Oct-16-05 12:03 PM EST –

I also paddle the same area you do, so I know how hot it is. Since you aren't a roller go with a nylon skirt and try and get it in a light color, instead of basic black. It will keep you cooler.

nylon skirts
are not very good for really hot temps such as those in southern states. I really think spending the extra money on waterproof breathable is really worth it. If you are gong to practice rolling buy a good neoprene deck skirt with waterproof/breathable tunnel and use a standard nylon half skirt for calm gulf coastal paddling in the summer.

Suspenders Removal Question
Hey Mark,

I’ve used a nylon sprayskirt that has suspenders as well as an adjustable bungie around the chest. When I lean forward to present a low profile and paddle hard, the skirt invariably comes off in back.

Aside from that problem, the skirt worked pretty well on my E68 - the boat’s coaming is a little odd, and that may also contribute to the skirt coming loose.

How did you determine it was the suspenders? Since you’ve removed them has the problem altogether ceased?

Thanks,

Chris