Sprayskirt installation tips

Bingo?
“The back of the tunnel seems to run almost straight down to the rand with no real horizontal run. This may be causing alot of the issue.”

When Seals made my custom skirt I had to locate the top of the backband on the tracing I sent them. This enables them to calculate the distance from the backband to the aft coaming (the horizontal distance) for establishing the location of the tunnel.

I have a Tempest 170 RM and have used a stock Seals Extreme Tour (Neo/Breathable Nylon) with good results.

Sprayskirt installation tips
This isn’t relevant to your issue but it might help someone else. I took a rolling class in WW boats a few weeks ago. The skirts were much tighter than my sea kayak.

A tip that I learned was to lean back and put the rear of the skirt on. Then grab the front of the skirt and straighten your arms. Finally do a situp to attach the front of the skirt.

A simple tip, but this was the first time that I’ve heard of it.

With all of the suggestions here

– Last Updated: Feb-03-08 11:05 PM EST –

kschultz76 wins the prize!!

I think that I have determine what's up. I was told bay a dealer that Wildwasser makes their skirts primarily for their kayaks (Prijon). What kschultz76 stated. The backband on the Prijon boats appears by the pictures on their site to be very close to the rear edge of the cockpit combing.

Take a look at the Prijon Seayak under Touring Kayaks - Open Water Kayaks
http://www.wildnet.com/

Take a look at the top view of the T170 Pro by clicking on the "Top" link
http://www.wildernesssystems.com/tempest-170-pro

This explains why the tunnel on my skirt runs pretty much straight down to the rand. On the Prijon boats this would be fine. But on the Tempest and the Tsunami there is a little more distance between the back band and the rear of the combing.

This explains alot of things. My best shot of getting the skirt over the rear of the combing was to have the back band back so far that my butt was actually over the rear of the seat.

I am just upset that I have spent years fighting to get the skirt on. The dealer (Paddle Shack in NJ) is contacting Wildwasser to see if they will customize a neo/neo pocket for my T170.

I really like the handy pocket on the WW Pocket. Any other favorites than the ones suggested above that fit the T170 Pro?

Thanks for all of the help.

Dino arms in Pennsylvania, Art

Skirt suggestion
I have an IR skirt for my Tsunami that I love. IR has replaced it with a newer model, but both have a mesh zipper pocket sewn into the top of the skirt deck. I think the skirt is only 1 or 2mm neoprene, but tunnel and deck are neo, with a bungee rand. I’m not sure it would 100% dry in really hard pounding waves, or whitewater. But for the flatwater and mild chop I’ve encountered it performs well. I have no problems at all getting mine on my Tsunami 120.

The current model from IR is the Open Water skirt, http://www.immersionresearch.com/products/results.lasso?-search&-database=products_mysql&-Table=one&number=77012.

The size for your Tempest and Tsunami are the same a size “L” deck which they also call a 1.7 circumference.

Good luck!

Well, wetzool had it too
Just gotta mention in loyalty…

:wink:

You are correct but…
kschultz76 got it first.

But really thank you to everyone.

Art

Confirmed
I need a different model spray skirt. At a pool session today (80 degree water, priceless)I installed the skirt without me in it. The inside back of the tunnel was behind the backband. This was with the backband as far back as I could get it without having to sit off the back of the seat bottom.

I tried some of the installation tips that everyone provided. I wore the tunnel ridiculously low, let my lower PFD buckles unclasped and installed one side of the rear of the skirt and then the other. This was definitely easier, but it’s not right.

So I will be looking for a new skirt, which I needed anyway because the old boat stretched it out too far for the new boat.

Good news though, I tweaked some technique and got a pretty reliable (in the pool) roll. I even had several succesful off-side rolls today. In fact, the rolls took less effort than the skirt installation.

Thanks all for your help.

Art

When you get
the new skirt that fits you can start working on the re-enter and roll version where you attach the sprayskirt while upside down before rolling so you keep all that water out.

I am still a long way from getting that one, but maybe one day.

Mark

I did try re-enter and roll
today after 2 hours of pool time. I couldn’t get my legs in and was happy to float around a little. Maybe next time.

I’m schedule for a rolling class in a few weeks. Hopefully get more tips.

Pool sessions are a great way to accelerate/practice your skills.

Art

R&R
If I need to reenter and roll, I don’t think, I’m going to hang around putting the skirt on. Get up and get going, but YMMV.

There are a number of ways to get your legs in. This is what works for me: Face the back of your boat and place one hand on each side of the coaming. If you are rolling up on the right, your position your self to the right (facing forward, right) of the boat with you left hand on the near side and your right hand reaching under to the far side. Put your feet on seat and pivot around until you are crouched facing the bow. You can do this on your side or completely upside down. Upside down will get less water in as your roll up. Slide your feet forward to the pegs, your butt to the seat, take the paddle in both hands, roll up, and Bob’s your uncle (as the Brits say).

New Skirt …problem solved
I just received a Seals Surf Skirt 1.4

http://www.sealsskirts.com/prod_ww_surf.html

It is listed under their white water section.

Much, Much easier to get on the rear coaming.

The skirt comes standard with a 9 inch tall tunnel. For about $10 additional they would make it 6 inches tall. The 9 inch tall seems a little high, but the top comes to a point on me that gives it some girth to hang onto.

I also got the Gear Pocket to go along with it.

http://www.sealsskirts.com/prod_sa_gearpocket.html whickh is nice to store gear in.

Thanks for all of your replies.

Art