Spring Rendezvous April 25 thru May 1

What DEEEEEEEP thoughts
are being discussed…

And is that a row rig?

On the road already…
Left Coos Bay, OR on Tuesday morning; already in Dubois, WY tonight. Can check this thread most nights while on the road. Aiming for Jasper, but redirection is possible as late as Sunday. Pam, are you rain dancing yet? The skies have been clear and temperatures in the 70’s for the last thousand miles, but river levels and flows are up with snow melt. See everyone who makes it in the Ozarks next week.

Brad

Ha! Thanks, Terry! Forgot all about that
Christmas on the Current. What a fun trip. My only regret was your inability to join us for all three days. That was when I met Peter. We had so much fun (at least I hope Pete had fun; he spent a lot of time waiting around on us slugs) on that excursion.

KM, that was indeed a row rig, affectionately known as the Gear Pig. 1990-something 14’ Odyssey bucket boat purchased sight unseen for $400 from an outfitter on the Deschutes. She gave me considerably more than $400 worth of good memories, but alas she has gone to the great rapid in the sky except for whatever pieces of her my buddy used as patch material on his recent ill-advised acquisition.

Onward and upward! Pulled the trigger last winter on a 14’ Tributary and so far am very happy with it. I’ll upgrade the oars then the frame soon but it gets my non-boating wife and friends on the river. My first love is OC1 but I have a gear problem so multi-days usually mean rubber.

the campground
Is campground just 17sh miles from Yellville at?if not please point me in rt direction.plan on getting there Tues morn ready to paddle.

Its near Pruitt

– Last Updated: Apr-23-16 6:47 AM EST –

http://www.nps.gov/buff/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Ozark campground access is
14mi south of Harrison or 4mi north of Jasper on AR 7, signed access road on right or left (west) side then less than a mile of gravel to campsite/put in. See you there!

Brad

car in for repairs
Darn, another life dream not going to happen this year, my car has been towed to the mechanics. So I won’t be able to get it ready to make the drive this year. Hope to see you all next year

Vicky

You’ll be missed, Vicky
And I was looking forward to seeing you away from Alaska and home this year. Maybe next year’s Spring Fling?

Brad

Getting ready
Has there been any theft at the campground while everyone’s out on a day trip? We’re bringing extra boats and I don’t have a way to secure them yet. Just wondering if that should be a concern? Planning on being there bright and early Wednesday morning.

Boat thieves…
Go to Wally World or decent hardware store…

Buy a security cable a loop on both ends; 6 or 7 footer works fine.

Also buy a decent padlock; should be about 5 to 6 bucks.

Total investment should be under 20 bucks.

How much does the boat you want to secure cost???

Having a couple of good photos of every boat you own, and their serial number is helpful if it does turn up missing. A determined thief is usually able to deal with any security device, but they’ll often go after the “easy pickings”, as opposed to the boat that someone has made an effort to secure.

BOB

Boat lock
I have one with me that you may borrow while at the campground…

Brad

Thanks
Only recently have we had a need to secure an “extra” boat or two. I think I’ll pick up something at the store today just to make the appearance of being secure. If they stomp a thwart, then I guess they needed it worse than me.

work
Looks like Work will delay my arival time.definitely in by Tues morn ready to paddle.

you might be ready to walk now
paddle an ark after tomorrow… The storms start with the start of Rendezvous

Looks like the storms will nicely cooperate and be during the night.

Ark?
Are you talking bad about my boat? :wink:

Thoughts are about you all.
I hope weather and water are working for you!

Pics
Life’s been playing havoc with my paddling lately, but got a few days in camp and one day on the river. Sure was nice visiting with old friends and making new. BTW, Ed and Tracy, your kids warm my heart about the next generation! Here’s a link to a few pics:

http://www.pbase.com/ozarkpaddler/buffalo_april_2016&view=slideshow

Great to meet everyone!
I’m really glad I stumbled upon the group on my road trip out to Arkansas. The float on the 28th was a ton of fun (even if low). I hope the rain the next day allowed you all to run the Upper Buffalo yesterday.

Anthony

Looks like a missed a great time!
I had one of my own though. Got to watch a bunch of youngsters learn to paddle WW in good weather AND got to to witness some very comical carnage, all with my daughter and my other best friend right there. Not often it all comes together like that.

Some of those boats looked warped.
Not a single picture of a kayak, amazing.

I hope to make the fall Rendezvous.