Spring yesterday, winter today

@sing said:

@Johnnysmoke said:
Winter’s back tomorrow then looks like the 50s for the weekend.
My 4 year old has winter break, so I’m watching him all week, so I’m trying to not check the cams too frequently this week.
I started physical therapy for a shoulder impingement, so hopefully will start to get that sorted out, before getting after it too much.
But I am eyeing Monday’s surf forecast of 3 feet with interest, temps in the 50s, and the kid back in preschool.

I am heading out of town on Sunday… Just as the waves are forecasted to build. :frowning:

You and I should hook up sometime. I would be glad to take you to my homebreak sometime so you can better appreciate the difference in quality of waves between an ever-shifting beach break from the set waves of a reef or point break. :wink:

BTW, I never appreciated the difference until I went to the Santa Cruz surf kayak contests. The point break waves at Santa Cruz really opened my eyes to the appreciation of higher quality, set waves, like what I found at my homebreak.

sing

Yeah man, I’d appreciate a tour of a different spot. It’s sometimes a little tricky for me to get out, I only have a few hours during the week, but if I plan ahead, might be able to get up north on a weekend day.

I want to know what happened to global warming. It’s almost the end of February and it’s freezing cold. This is not what I call warming of any type. Yeah, yeah, I know–climate change is one thing and weather is another. BS.

70° here today. Everything is turning green probably just in time for a hard freeze.

Not “BS” when you look at overall temperature averages everywhere for the year – the world is getting record high averages every year. Disruption in the normal patterns results in extremes both of highs and lows and more weird seasonal fluctuations. For instance we had a really bitterly cold December and January here in Western PA (and my gas bills reflect that) but this past Tuesday broke the record high for the date by 10 degrees at 78 F. Still warm and rainy out there today and we have had severe flooding due to rain and saturated ground, rather than melting snow as in other years. Warmer temperatures in parts north can result in heavier lake effect snows and rain here where we are downwind of the Great Lakes.

Yup - that has been the pattern here as well - brutally cold from early December through mid January (earliest freeze up I can remember), and the unseasonably warm from mid January to now (earliest ice-out I can remember). Lots of rain the past few weeks, so all the rivers are up. Heading out to paddle today for the 4th weekend in a row - that never happens in February. We could still get some cold weather in March, but it doesn’t look like we will. Spring melt in February - how weird is that.

I can remember when decades ago, we would have winters without even a frost; and there were some when the lakes froze solid enough to walk on them. I"ve also seen the Columbia River full of ice from bank to bank. Thankfully and hopefully, those cold years are over for good.

Anyway, today global warming is back and all is well–until tomorrow. The weather is day to day up and down; just like the climate is eon to eon up and down.

So got out Tuesday in some nice little thigh high waves. Nice sunn warm day. Need to build up my endurance again, was gassed after twenty minutes, and only a few waves. Baby steps I guess. Also decided not to over due it, just keep it short and sweet for the first time out this year, rather than try to beat myself into shape.
Looks like things are going to get knarly for the next few days as this storm blows around.

I could use a little cold weather. These warm temps and the pollen they produce are making me miserable, drugs and all.

@Johnnysmoke said:
So got out Tuesday in some nice little thigh high waves. Nice sunn warm day. Need to build up my endurance again, was gassed after twenty minutes, and only a few waves. Baby steps I guess. Also decided not to over due it, just keep it short and sweet for the first time out this year, rather than try to beat myself into shape.
Looks like things are going to get knarly for the next few days as this storm blows around.

Was checking in on the forecasts. Looks to be a bigger one than one last month. Hopefully folks along the coasts take it more seriously this time around…

My basement will probably get some flooding. Oh well… Will have to deal when I get back.

sing

I’m hoping for that inch of rain, and some time on Sunday to take advantage of it. Crazy the way we look forward to storms.