Starting out, some questions...

Wife’s boat
Very good information to know. I found it quite odd that they suggested the same boats for her as for me as there are obvious differences in the two of us and would have different needs when it came to size and shape of the kayak we’re using. I’ll certainly be having her try out quite a few of them when we go to the demo.

Kayaks
I’m the same way in what I do in many ways, so I understand the mentality that comes with the suggestions made. I also believe in starting out difficult rather than starting out with something easy as a way to really gain knowledge and skill. It works in most ways, but not all.

Basically, I can’t see myself spending $3000 - $4000 on something I will be doing for recreation and exercise. I’m not looking to compete in contests or do any racing or time trials. I’m just looking for something that works well for me and for her. :slight_smile:

Well now…
You, my friend, are my hero of the day. I had no idea Tussey even carried anything like that let alone had training as nothing was coming up on my searches on google. I do believe I will be taking a trip over there this week. :smiley:

Back issues
I suppose I should have given a bit more clarity on the situation there. There are many factors I believe that have constituted the issue… years of work at my job where I can be lifting things ranging anywhere between 250 - 600 pounds with few people to help, sitting for up to 12 or 14 hours a day on a chair that wasn’t doing anything to help (which is a problem that has been remedied and the difference is amazing with this new chair), and the weight.

Needless to say, 35-45 pounds won’t bother me at all. I was actually amazed how light they were when I was messing with them at the sporting goods store. All I could think was “Yep, I’d totally end up sinking this thing as soon as I sit down in it in water.” :slight_smile:

We hope you don’t

– Last Updated: Apr-20-10 4:13 AM EST –

sink.

Or stop there. One issue with sporting goods store kayaks is that they look good. But often they lack floatation or bulkheads.

Don't forget that you WILL flip and water weighs a ...ton. Look at what needs to be drained. If there are bulkeads front and rear, less water needs to leave. Sporting goods stores tend to have kayaks that have floatation in one end so they point straight up when flooded.. good luck to you and your back there!

That is one reason I advocate a pack canoe that you paddle just like a kayak. They are easier to drain..just lift one end and flip.

However many find them less seaworthy in seas..as in in the ocean. If you are lake paddling with waves less than one foot I dont find that waves breaking over the bow will be a problem and you can dispense with the deck.

So..where will you be paddling? BTW I started with an Aquaterra Keowee at 30 plus minus lbs and had a ball.. but I never thought of the emptying thing until necessity called...aargh.

whatever you choose…($.01)

– Last Updated: Apr-20-10 10:21 AM EST –

Great info....my non-kayaking-since-97', but canoeing experience intuition:
DVDs can be great before and after lessons, especially with some distance making lessons a "fewer than a dozen"/season option....but do the lessons at some point no matter what length drive(within reason). Ditto with renting and/or buying used to begin with. Time on the water, becoming relaxed..especially in the hips, and imitating good form/technique is what it's all about. FWIW PVC?(used for above ground pools) tubing run up through and glued to a highly boyant foam board, and epoxied to closed cell foam which is glued to a snorkel can give you an excellent breathing gizmo for practicing ones' rolling, particularly just off a beach..in comfortable conditions.

$.01

Sinking

– Last Updated: Apr-20-10 6:00 PM EST –

I was actually just joking about sinking, though with some of these light weight ones, it makes you wonder. hehe. Good to know about the dual bulkheads though.

I'll be mainly in lakes around Central PA. Four I can think off off hand I'll be in the majority of the time: Glendale, Raystown, Curwensville, and Treasure Lake. Maybe some slow moving rivers as well, though there aren't many of those around this area big enough for kayaking.

Once I feel comfortable with our skills, there has been some talk of doing lake Erie and kayaking to Canada, but that's a bit far in the future yet. I know our friend and his dad are probably still going to do it this summer though. :)

Treasure Lake…
A couple more places since you seem to be in my neck of the woods, Bobs Army Navy in Clearfield usually has a demo day during the Memorial Day weekend. Not 100% sure if they still do this but they have a modest selection in their store. Also McCrackens Canoe in Shawville. They are very knowledgeable and have had a fairly good selection when I’ve been there. He pretty much lives for the water and is very laid back.

http://www.mccrackencanoe.com/

stay way under $3K - $4K
by following the good advice here re bunch of demos w. lessons beforehand to get the most out of them.

something ~13-14 feet is a great allpurpose size for starting out - for rivers and the sheltered well behaved inland lakes you may opt to explore your first season. Some may be capable of more when you are.

Outfitting and comfort will decide the chosen.

also

what suits her build/weight and yours will be different. Just about guaranteed.

Likely hers will be narrower (being female w. a lower Center of Gravity she can likely handle boat widths you find tippy). Likely hers will have a lower deck than yours, too. Yes she is tall & longlegged but I’ll guess her legs are slimmer and fold under a deck more easily than yours.

So resist the urge to go “his 'n hers”… sounds cute, but usually winds up being less than optimum for someone. Anyway I think you are already on to that by your own research.

Lastly, unless you are driven by a hard to fit body type or some urge to buy your first and last “perfect” boat (heh, similiar to the quest for the Holy Grail) there is no point in buying new. Kayaks depreciate 10% the moment they go into the water, and that’ll go to 40% easily by the end of a season if you are lovin’ to use them as the watergods intended.

Buy used, and put the $$ saved into very good paddles, top quality PFDs that are comfortable and don’t impede your stroke, good water wear appropriate for the months of the year you’re on the water, and a secure system to transport your boats.

Nothing sadder than spending all that cash on accessories only to see a boat go bouncing down the hwy for lack of a good secure transpo system. This must be said also: an unsecured boat is a heavy projectile that can cause an accident or kill someone. Don’t be that person. Jus’ sayin’

Best wishes for an amazing first season…