Staying Dry?

Yeah We’ll Stay Home
And leave you poor Mainiacs to starve >;-)

~Tommy

I’m switching to a Euro-style tent
Hilleberg’s Unna. The fly goes up first, with the poles. The inner tent is hooked to the underside of the fly/poles. Either can be used by itself if desired. I bought mine a year ago but did not take any kayak-camping trips this year so can’t vouch for its effectiveness.

Certainly it makes more sense than the U.S.A. style of tents, in which rain always wets the tent by the time the fly goes up. OR you could do as many people do and set up a tarp overhead before the tent comes out of its bag.

Wet tents are one of the main reasons I prefer my truck’s topper when car-camping. But kayak camping can be such a fine experience I can’t completely dispatch with the tents.

My strategy
is to set up my Cookes first. (10x10 or 15x15 depending on the trip) That does two things: Gets us out of the rain, and improves our mental outlook. Then we can set up tents under teh tarp, and even arrange them so that the tent doors are protected by the tarp.

I also arrange to be able to pack the tent fly and ground sheet separately from the body. Everything you do to keep the body dry will pay back in dividends.

Jim

The best way is:
Stay home and out of the water!

Yeah, but like THAT’s gonna happen!
The water is always calling. Can’t you hear it now?

-rs