Stonington Paddleing

Was rthinking re the original post
In the OP, it was about islands in Stonington which, if public camping is allowed, it’d likely be an island managed by MITA. That conditioned my response.

The ones managed by other entities are a different matter, though the list provided of said other entities on the MITA site is likely a good start.

Private island that allow public camping - some of them are privately owned for-fee paid campgrounds. If that is the case, I would not necessarily expect the state to list them. But the Maine Office or Tourism pops up with some decent offerings on the broader array of island camping options by googling island camping in Maine.

Stonington Paddling Reduex.

– Last Updated: Jul-25-12 12:55 PM EST –

First of all let me start off by thanking everyone for all their valuable input and information regarding my original post. I had no idea it would start such a spirited discussion! With that being said, I was a little concerned after trying to do my own research in the early stages of planning my trip. I was starting to get the impression on what seemed to be the exclusivity of information regarding islands in that area. I'm used to planning most of my trips using maps such as trails illustrated that already have campsites listed and also purchasing permits for those campsites. I figured if I can get a map of the region showing the islands I could plan my route and find campsites on my own but that simply wasn't the case. It seemed every time I asked a question I was always referred to Mita and to purchase their handbook. In retrospect I probably should've saved myself the trouble and done that. I felt I could get all the information on my own. But after reading the posts on this board, it seems most of the islands mentioned in my original post are not available anyway, so its back to square one. I understand the importance of MITA and the stewardship they provide for the islands and I'm happy to contribute to that. I have just contacted them regarding membership. Thanks again to all who have gone out of their way to provide myself and others with valuable insights and information even if it might have ruffled a few feathers. I also hope that my experience will be one that makes me want to come back and put it on a regular rotation. Sincerely, Bob.

Outfitter info
As various people have indicated, there is no single clearinghouse for information on the Maine Islands. So many various organizations own or manage use of islands that it takes some footwork a d local knowledge to gain a full picture of what’s available.

Hiring an outfitter should solve this issue, but it sounds like you’re not getting that kind of help from your company. (If that company is Old Quarry, by the way, please click the email icon below this post, and I’ll see that someone takes care of you.)

If your outfitter isn’t able to tell you about island availability in the Stonington area, I suggest you find a new one.

Paddling Stonington Reduex.
Hi Nate. I wasn’t trying to put Old Quarry in a bad light, Capt. Bill has been more than helpful with questions I’ve had. He just recommended like a lot of people have to join MITA and get the book. I just like to have my route(s) with a back up plan ready before I arrive. I’m really looking forward to getting up there and having a look see. I’ve done the Apostles a couple of times, but this looks like its going to be on a whole different level. Really pumped!

Try this book
Kayaking the Maine Coast by Dorcas Miller.

It covers the whole coast in good detail, lists islands in each region including restrictions on nesting islands, etc. that you can visit. More than you need for Stonington by far, but for those visiting Maine it is a good resource and provides much more info than the MITA guide for paddling on Maine coast.

This list from Old Quarry contains some errors, but a good place to start when visiting Stonington area.

http://www.oldquarry.com/kayak/islands.pdf

Two grand for an outfitter and you are not getting info on islands, etc. for your trip???

Only 8 MITA islands on the OQ list
In addition to 40 public islands of various kinds. Some of the 8 MITA islands don’t sound particularly interesting.

I assume this is a list of all the available islands in the Stonington area.

If it’s correct, it doesn’t look like you need to join MITA to identify the public islands in this area. If Stonington was the only area I was interested in paddling, I would only join MITA if I had a desire to camp legally on one of the 8 MITA islands. Or if I just wanted to support the organization as a general matter.

Paddling Stonington Reduex

– Last Updated: Jul-25-12 12:56 PM EST –

We're just outfitting boats, bags, PFD's etc. It's not guided,and that's why I've tapped the expertise of the people in this forum. I have the Eggemoggin Reach #104 map provided by Old Quarry and that's what I based my questions off of. Not knowing if any of the nearer islands were avaiable. You've all been more than patient and helpful and I'm looking forward to experiencing this hospitality first hand...and my first authentic lobster roll!!

Camping needs, private islands and $
Re islands in Maine in general, it is difficult to wake up on any island and not have a good experience as long as the weather cooperates. Or even if the weather is awful, as long as your tent is solid. Many of us who have used the island trail would say that the private islands are a nicer experience, because you lose the crowds, and more than worth the annual MITA membership fee. It costs less to join MITA for a year than it does to use most privately run and many public campsites in states like New York.

topomon - If you are renting locally you should be set up right. But just to be aware - it’ll be a free-standing tent (MITA requirements), leave no trace camping - baggies rather than cat holes, and most of the islands do not have any water on them. Carry in. No fires so you will need something like a pocket rocket for cooking.

That said, Stonington is lovely. Since we are usually here in July when things are busier and don’t camp so much these days, we tend to stay with the Muscle Ridge group further west. But these groups in Maine are great - highly sheltered inside and dramatic cliffs on the seaward side with a horizon that goes on forever.

fires etc
some of the islands allow fires below the tideline, others not at all-none have firepits so don’t even think about building a fire anywhere but below the high water mark and like I said, some islands don’t allow it at all—if you camp on Hell’s Half Acre please dont build a fire on the granite shelf on the north side of the island in front of the camping site–although it seems to be allowed, it really scars the granite and leaves an indelible mark. Best idea is to bring a small one burner back packer stove

and you do have to pack your crap–feces etc in a plastic bag and carry it out in your boat (see the crap wrap section in the Maine Island Guide)–you can also purchase commercial crap wrap product from Old Quarry—under no circumstances should you bury your droppings on the islands–the top soil is usually a foot or less deep and literally hundreds of people visit them every year. If they all buried their s—t, the islands will become a sewer.

about fires

– Last Updated: Jul-26-12 7:15 AM EST –

On the islands where fires are allowed, a fire permit is required by law. On BPL (state-owned) islands you call the Maine State Forest Service (number in MITA book), and on Private owned islands, where the owner allows fires, you need to get a permit from the local municipality (Stonington, in the case of the islands between Isle au Haut and Stonington).

It's really really hard to have a fire and Leave No Trace however. So personally, I favor forgoing fires while out there. The scarred granite on Hells Half Acre is kind of a bummer.

Nate

leave no trace
Correction! the topsoil on the maine islands - especially MITA islands - is maybe 2 inches. Don’t go digging holes.

LNT
No prob’, been practicing LNT since before the phrase was coined.

MITA
So is it worth joining MITA if your not camping?

If you want to protect access to islands
Yes, it is. MITA does a lot of good work for cheap money to join.