Stoves and cooking

Easy
Google Outback Oven

The riser/ heat diffuser makes even baking

The stove must be able to simmer. It’s safer to have a stove with a to the side fuel supply

Cheesy aka Red Lobster biscuits are a snap

I too go for lightweight stoves. Much of my canoetrips invokve portaging. Sometimes as in Algonquin they are hiking with some paddling. I less often do river canoe camping

Barrel Stove
This stove can easily cook for six.

http://chipwalsh.org/Misc/B-Stove-at-FC.jpg

Well, you said you weren’t overly concerned with weight. I made this stove to take winter camping in areas that do not permit open fires. The flu detaches. I laid it down in the canoe and then stuffed it with oak cord wood, and augmented that with wood found at the site, which there was a lot of because open fires are not allowed.

At False Cape State Park (pictured), said loading occurred near the Park offices, and somebody must have ratted on me. As soon as we paddled in to our site a ranger roared up in a 4x4 to tell us we couldn’t burn. I countered that the rule read “open fires,” and this was a stove. Stove turned out to be the magic word. “This is what you brought to cook with?” asked the ranger. Okay, he said, “but keep it reasonable,” a rubber yardstick if ever there was one. We kept the pot of water boiling so in the event the ranger returned it would be obvious we were cooking. And only after dark did we fire it to the point the flames leaping out the flue looked like a jet engine.

The purpose of the stove was keep the toes and fingers toasty, but encouraged by the ranger, it turned out to cook pretty well, too. Beyond merely boiling, you can lay a piece of foil on top and grill away. Try that with your jet boil.

After using it at Janes Island State Park, I accidentally left the flue standing on the dock. I always wondered what those who found it thought about such a unique piece of boating equipment.

~~Chip

John, get out to 6 n see what Walsh

is up to with the barrel

and the Ranger asked

THIS IS WHAT YOU BROUGHT TO COOK WITH ?

big trouble if you has asked if the season on With was still open…

Awesome!
I need to try your mrthod. Sometimes I get so hungry on paddling trips. Thanks!

Thanks, KM
I will try. Bet I could do cornbread from a mix also. Thanks!

Amazon
Has a titanium canister stove for fifteen dollars that weighs practicality nothing.

Skirting the Edge
You have a skill for it. Loved when the Ranger discovered the chain saw at our Asseateague camp site and was sure we had it motored in. Seeing the Tripper he let us alone.