Strap bow and stern to roof rack?

O dont do that
You can get seriously hurt by a kayak torpedoing through your car.

It happened to our neighbors who always took their rec boats in the van… Just missed his head and went right through the windshield when he had to stop fast.

Maybe I’m overly cautious.
There are certain things I always do. Carrying a bilge pump and paddle float is one, even if it’s just for a quicky paddle in flat water.

Another is using bow/stern tie downs no matter how short the trip. To move my boat to and from my dock, I have to drive to the access road a couple lots away. It’s a very steep, rutted road and I’m always in first gear up and down.

It takes just a couple minutes to secure the lines. It would take a heck of a lot longer to replace my kayak should something go wrong.

that’s your prerogative
I’m not judging. I expect the same in return.

Since when is stating
a personal preference judging?

If there’s a judgment involved, it’s that I’m a cautious wuss.

bilge pump ?
there’s bilge ? yuch…

half a gallon water jug on 1/8th" shock cord n a sponge does it for clean water.

strapping down the boat
I was purchasing my kayak and one of the guys from the store taught me how to tie the boat on. Flip the tie down straps OVER the boat, and around the rack bar, at the end so it forms an infinity or sideways 8 - pull down tight. He said this is usually enough. I tie down at both the front and the back so I can see what is going on - since I am unable to see the boat, the ropes reassure me that all is okay up top. I also do it in case of an accident. If someone rear ends my vehicle the forces generated by the impact would be tremendous and possibly dislodge the boat

aluminum

– Last Updated: Jun-24-16 7:20 PM EST –

http://goo.gl/prcTNN

if steel then inside needs painting with rusto...and outside. a coat of white primer followed with dayglo