subaru baja

compromises
might be for people who cannot afford both a lifted ford truck and a mini cooper.

wow

– Last Updated: Apr-27-07 8:47 AM EST –

Lease terms are pretty good. We were also looking at a Pilot.(someday I will lose my head and get an s2000)

I thought if someone could make a pass through that the window went down into, and then was removable, they'd have a nice gimmick. Surprised DCX hasn't come up with this. But the ridgeline has that nice trunk in the bed and the dual hinged tailgate, right?

rack box

– Last Updated: Apr-27-07 9:57 AM EST –

I had the same smell problem. Put the wet stuff in the kayak cockpit. Didn't have the problem with the second car. It was a 86 Oldsmobile Delta 88. No one wanted to drive it but with that loose 80's ride it was impressive swinging into a parking lot with a plastic 100lb double and singles on the roof and the ends of the kayak pitching up and down when spinning donuts. Drove about the same with or without kayaks on the freeway. 5 liter V8. Later 90's version with fuel injection get over 22mpg on the freeway.

1995 Buick Roadmaster
embrace the road warrior

it has Gran Touring Suspension

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-Buick-Roadmaster-Estate-Wagon-Great-Condition_W0QQitemZ320104854723QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320104854723

both…but if i did not have as much
stink in the car maybe she would paddle more WITH me…

r

who knew
you were a v8 buick roadmaster donut spinning leadfoot?

Oh yeeaaahh.

– Last Updated: Apr-27-07 12:16 PM EST –

The tailgate is nice. Swing it open and you have much better reach into the HUGE trunk (which, BTW has a plug to drain out the melted ice when you use it as a beer cooler ;-). Drop the tailgate down when you want to leave it open for hauling kayaks!

Just checked Honda's website, and no lease deals right now on any SUVs/Trucks. You'll have to be patient, maybe, if you want a deal like that. They were running the same lease on Pilots when we got the Ridgeline. That was Oct. '05, but they ran something similar well into the Spring of '06. Can't believe they won't bring something like that back, as they were moving the Ridgelines as fast as they could get them in.

Oh, and good luck fitting in an S2000. You'd have to be under 5'9" to be comfortable IMO.

And if you forget to load your yak
this boat ought to float!

I miss big cars like this though. My dad bought a used Ford LTD when I was in HS. I lived in the country and worked late at a fast food place the first summer I had my license. I had that thing up to 130 on a rural state hwy one night, passed a cop sitting & hiding, and by the time he got up to speed I had gone over a hill, turned off onto a co rd and hid that boat behind a barn. After he flew by, I went the other way with no lights and went about 10 miles out of way to get home. Good times, good times . . . .

spring deals
detroit dealers are hungry. 27k for a 2007 ex 4x4 pilot, 3k down, 270/month 36 month lease (12k mileage limit). Seem to be a few ridgelines around also.

I might be test driving this weekend…

L Hiding with the lights off…

– Last Updated: Apr-27-07 3:42 PM EST –

Ah yes, the good ol' days..

Just need to get a little distance on that smokey...

Let me know by e-mail what you think.
And I’ll be glad to give you any more input you need.

Update for me: my wife agreed that when I land a new job and need a car, she’ll accept an Element and I’ll take over the Ridgeline from her. Just getting impatient on the offer I’ve been waiting for. Also have two interviews next week to fall back on.

That was easy.
He had his car off, and I was going 130. By the time I saw him, I knew there was no reason to slow down because I had a hill coming up which might give me a chance at losing him. I was gone before he could turn over his engine . . . .

:wink:

“Occasional” fridge-hauling
You might be better off just renting a trailer (or renting a truck) for occasional truck-type work, and keeping the high-mpg car for everything else. You can stick the stinky neoprene in a mesh bag and lash it inside the cockpits or somewhere else outside the vehicle.

The Baja strikes me as almost pointless due to extremely small bed, LOWER mpg than the same-engined Outback wagon, and same price. I say “almost” because some like its looks.

If you still want a truck, there are several midsize trucks and one compact truck to choose from, for similar price as the Baja (lower if you get them in 2WD). The 2WD midsize 4cyl trucks get very good mpg.

new lifestyle vehicles
or what you can afford paying alimony and child support.

But after owning a couple beaters then seeing my daughter get a '92 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon I love the old boats. I drive a Subaru that gets 23-28mpg with a light foot but it’s true that the big engine land yacht would get 25mpg going 65mph with the 5.0liter turning over about 1600rpm.

What’s needed is a modern version one of those but with a high tech turbo diesel four cylinder. I can handle 12 second 0-60 acceleration times as long as it can haul the weight at freeway speeds. If a clunky Dodge Sprinter can get 25mpg from a 5cylinder turbo diesel I figure an aerodynamic turbo four cylinder should be able to get 35mpg

LOL …

– Last Updated: Apr-28-07 4:53 AM EST –

To Seakak1's post ....... and agree with above ..... give me that diesel.

I like it
and I think the day is coming. Diesel hybrids.

Diesel Hybrids are coming.
I believe VW has a hybrid proto that gets over 80 mpg. Seem to recall reading that somewhere in a car mag on a plane…

With the new ULSD fuel we will see sophisticated clean burning diesels entering the country. Honda, Daimler, Toyota, VW for starters.

Diesel electric power is what propels locamotives! Take a diesel hybrid and run it on biodiesel… sounds good to me.

BTW, my 7000lb. Cummins Dodge with 400k gets 19-21 mpg at 70 mph. I run WVO in it so only use diesel for warm up. Go baout 700 mi. on ten gallons of diesel. Varies based on trip lengths.

I love trucks. For what I do, a Subaru would be marginal…we have one, and it’s a decent car, but small and not especially efficient.

To the posters question, I’d recommend looking at a Toyota extra cab truck with the 2.4 liter engine. Rhino line the bed, put a topper on it with a custom aluminum rack that cages the canopy. Drive for 300k with minimal problems, and carry a hell of a lot more.