suggestions for a water filter?

MSR Miniworks
I recently purchased the MSR Miniworks after doing a lot of research and used it on a four day trip this past week. It worked beautifully. It’s important to prime the filter properly (as per instructions) – I found that doing so enabled to filter to pump the claimed liter per minute with ease. In all honesty, for me, it could take two minutes a liter and I’d still be happy.

And the time that it takes to pump water is negligible – heck, it gives you time to sit and take in the surroundings while obtaining some safe drinking water. If you think about it, one minute per liter is pretty impressive considering that you’re pumping water through .3 micron openings.

It’s really nice that the Miniworks can be taken apart and cleaned in the field with minimal fuss.

I spoke to a medical lab biologist and she explained to me that .3 microns is very adequate for filtering water in the Pacific Northwest – so long as you’re not filtering from a source that has “civilization” (i.e., farms, or logging areas) upstream. A .3 micron filter will remove all bad stuff except viruses – which we don’t need to worry about too much in North America.

It’s really nice not having to carry fresh water anymore.

Dan

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com

A great little filter…
mine has treated me well for quite some time now and sees a lot of use.

Here in Wyoming, we’re fortunate enough to enjoy nice clean lake waters which make for a fantastic cup of bean!

The little MSR pumps directly into my Nalgene bottles and my MSR dromedary bag. So convenient.

When we take a lunch break on one of the lakes, we all enjoy a fresh bottle of lake water courtesy of the MSR.

Pleasant waters to ya.

Holmes