Suggestions for best "rough water" kayak

Well made point
You have to remember before NDK existed there were boats considered to be rough water boats like the Nordcapp. Why, because Frank Goodman used it around the Cape of Good Horn. It also had low stability which meant that it required skill and that also fortified the reputation. Derek crossed the north sea in an Orion - must be a good rough water boat. Then some unknown kid crossed all the Great Lakes in a Necky plastic piece of crap and the kayking world shut up about boats for awhile.

I paddle with a club reguarly in usually intermediate conditions and every boat imaginable arrives and sometimes it gets pretty nasty. Even (god forbid) Outer Islands too. All the boats handle it fine. Better paddlers just handle it easier.

One thing that NDK proved to the world is that initial stability is a good thing.

Creeker probably best
Pretty skimpy space for that jug of hot tea in a playboat.

My God, my Kool Aid index just keeps
rising. I have a brit river boat, too!

Dogmaticus

Gone from Syllabus
I should not mention this, but notice the whole hot drink thing in terms of being part of kit was radically changed in new syllabus? As in removed and replaced with something requiring the demonstration of judgment as to what to have. Good stuff in new syllabus seems to me.

choke
almost swallowed that condescension

My Brit Cred Went Down…
got rid of Mega. Got rid of the Pyranhnas. But I also got rid of the Go-Native stuff.

I drink pink alone. :slight_smile:

sing

Cool!!!
You realize there is new, higher density EPS that is reputedly water impermeable (minimizes ding and repair worries related to water infiltration). More expensive but maybe worth it when a test block gets shaped and approved in dummy pilot tests. :slight_smile:

I think Homeblown Foam or something like that makes it. They’re in CA and unlike the foam board suppliers with preshaped blanks, this company takes orders for custom sized blocks.

sing

New BCU 4* re food and drink
From the Trainer notes:

5. Food and drink

• Candidate should be provided with the knowledge of how to choose appropriate

food for the trips to be undertaken.

• They also need to be made aware of the importance of good hydration and the

benefits that might be gained from a hot drink.

Lots of room for tea if you do
what I’m doing this Sunday. My British designed, Canadian built, and American owned Foster Shadow will be towing my Seda Creeker 'til I get to the spot I intend to surf. Then I’ll switch boats.

Why I can even fit three thermoses of tea in Shadow’s day hatch.

Face it Bowler
you’re just starstruck and infatuated. ya BCU butt kisser, you.

When I drink alone
I prefer to be by myself. (GT and the Destroyers)

BCU cred holding steady with Mr and (future)Mrs. Squirt.

BCU: 6

NDK Romany

NDK Explorer HV

VCP Aleut Sea II

Barcelona Slalom

Pyranha Master

Pyranha Inazone

North American Allstars: 7

Black Marlin surf ski

Necky Phantom

Seda Glider

Necky Blunt

Necky Rip

Wave Sport Score

Perception 3D

If I count the Aleut as two, then I need to acquire a tie breaker! Or at least give away the 3D.

And now for something completely differe
I paddle an Innova Solar II in rough water, out here on the Pacific. And I mean rough: 5’ dumping waves, washing machine turbos, boomers, strong head winds, Great White sharks, etc… The boat flexes (like a white water raft) and takes a heck of a lot to capsize.

Of course it sucks on flat water, but that’s where my real sea kayak excels.