Suggestions for first WW Kayak

Good for you!
Too many people never try whitewater because they think it’s all 30-foot waterfalls and monster holes. It can be enjoyed at any level you feel comfortable.

If you ask around in your area, you may find a winter pool class or rolling sessions. They can be good silly fun.

The poster below makes a good point…
…find a local club so you can take some

pool practice.

You pick up some good skills and should be able

to try out a lot of boats.

thought of inflatable
I have paddled mostly a dagger animas, a sink with lots of room, and if I knew then what I know now, I would have bought an inflatable.

I am not into playboating, except surfing, certainly NO cartwheels!

As a big guy, I am 5-11, 180, many boats feel real small to me.

There are some real comfortable, performance inflatables that I would prefer now: like the Aire boats ( force XL). So comfortable to sit in, and they are faster then my sink ( animas) to paddle.

I would suggest renting an inflatable(not a Duck boat) but a good quality inflatable, for comparison.

thought of inflatable
I have paddled mostly a dagger animas, a sink with lots of room, and if I knew then what I know now, I would have bought an inflatable.

I am not into playboating, except surfing, certainly NO cartwheels!

As a big guy, I am 5-11, 180, many boats feel real small to me.

There are some real comfortable, performance inflatables that I would prefer now: like the Aire boats ( force XL). So comfortable to sit in, and they are faster then my sink ( animas) to paddle.

I would suggest renting an inflatable(not a Duck boat) but a good quality inflatable, for comparison.

A Consistancy
I have paddled with several people in the last couple years and I have yet to meet anyone who did not like their Wavesport Diesel. I have the Dagger Mamba and I am crazy about it. I am seriously considering another after I wear this one out. Both of these boats are very foregiving and help build the confidence level. As you are in the upper weight range for many boats, be careful with the low volume sterns. These boats are usually fast, but water from multiple directions can end in fish counts for the beginner (speaking from experience…ex Animas owner).

Good Luck and have fun.

Jay

Burn or Ammo from Pyranha
Both of these boats are higher volume river running oriented. the ammo is shorter - the burn is longer - both great boats.

Go used
Until you know you’re hoked on whitewater. Some good starters are the Mamba, Diesel and Hoss.

I’d agre with the RPM as a good choice. It was my first ww boat and I keep it around. Best selling ww yak of all time.

Diesel 75
I’ll endorse that boat as well, a great creeker/river runner. Due to the hull design its not the easiest thing on the planet to learn to roll in, but once you have the hip-snap timing down its a piece of cake. Great boat, incredible handling, she drives like a Porsche in rough water.

that would be the Perception Dancer
Sorry my friend, but I beg to differ. Read subject line for the best seller. I paddled a dancer for close to 17 years before shifting to modern whitewater designs. I still own it.

H3 Pyranha
h3 is a nutha good river runner with some edge control and hull speed - lots of good volume too - the burn is the replacement - but H3 still solid boat.

oops, you’re right…
the Dagger did outsell the Dancer.

Ah well, both outstanding boats that got a lot of crazy people out on the water, its good to see them still paddled down rivers.