Suglasses

Costa del mar’s
Costa del mar’s and maui jims best on the water. I have both and revo’s but on the water costa del mar’s. All around maui jims, back up revo’s. I do a lot of bill fishing and all the boats i’ve been on the capt’s wear costa del mars to spot the marlin sail fish ect.

Mountain Climbing Goggles
Good tight bands, vented, expensive as heck, all the UV protection in the world… and bring a spare kayak for the Sherpa.

Celia

ANY decent sunglasses…
…will protect you from glare. Ten dollar Walmart fishing glasses will do so just as well as $200 chi-chi glasses. You don’t get better protection for huge money, you get somewhat better optical quality and a fancy name brand.

Be careful with Serengetis
I’ve owned several pairs of their glasses over the years and they’ve all had one thing in common, the frames don’t hold the lenses very well. A bit of twisting and they pop right out. They do offer some styles that have the lenses pinned or screwed to the frames and those don’t suffer from this problem.

No one mentions % light transmitted
Looks like allot of great info shared. What are people’s experience with how much light is transmittied (separate from the polarized or not question).

I find that my Oakley Black Irridium lenses block much more light and yet provide good contrast and detail. I don’t even feel the need for polarized lenses. When wearing polarized lens with more light transmitted I get headaches. Anyone know why?

agreed
light transmission is important to many people’s eyes. polarization can be great but most people wouldn’t notice it and if the lens was sufficiently dark for the conditions would be fine. a drawback to polarization is that it reduces visual information (glare) that your eyes would see the rest of the time, in all normal conditions. this is why you will never see a polarized lens for say, cycling. also the polarization film only cuts glare at certain angles which is why you will notice the white/silver glare coming and going as your boat and head moves around. twist your head side to side with your polar shades on to see what i mean. i use both types, and expensive ones and cheap ones (but i know all their specs first) and like them all. optically correct (CE class 1) is common these days. finding out visible light transmission is rare as few shops know this and really, it’s not important except for comparison sake. you can tell dark shades from light ones well enough right?

i love this thread and better get off it now before i bore you people to death with my sunglass geekness. i had a special wall mounted sunglass shelf system made, if that is any indication…

addendum on glare
Agree that you don’t have to go the expensive route, but there are features that further reduce glare on water and snow. A reflective gradient on the lens face and anti reflective coating on the inside make a big difference. Not all have these features but and you can usually find off the rack sunglasses with them. Also shop the outlets and places like campmor for great price cuts on quality sunglasses.

same here

– Last Updated: Jan-19-05 11:11 AM EST –

same experience with the lens. Having said that I love the drivers sienna lens, good for all sorts of light.

Also, rain x works as well on sunglasses as it does on windshields.

Cheap is the Way to Go
My $400.00 glasses with all the “bells and whistles” lasted me all of a month. My $5.00 “off the rack” cheap ones have lasted me two years and counting. A whiplashed tree branch does not discriminate

SYOW

Good, low cost
I use the sun glasses from www.zre.com Very low cost, not polarized, floating strap included, very comfy. Use baby shampoo on the inside to prevent fogging. I lost too many H2oPicks and Oakleys.

yeah

– Last Updated: Jan-19-05 4:33 PM EST –

I made my own with some green cellophane and pipe cleaners.

Boy is this display getting harder to read each year...

Campmor and Sierra Trading Post…
…are about the only places I buy better quality eyewear. You have to be a real chump to pay full price for “designer” sunglasses. The profit margins on them run as high as 80%! They’re out of fashion the next year and available for a fraction of the original price at these and other discount houses.

yup
Never pay close to full price on those expensive brands.

I got Bartz
They come with two gaskets. One of them is supposed to be for under water use, but fogs up too much. I’ve thought about trying cat crap, but decided to use the perforated gaskets instead. I’m pretty happy with these. I may get my prescription added.

You can check them out at murrays.com. Very good people to deal with.

Lou

Not dependant on color
You can get clear lenses which meet special criteria which means the block as much UV as mountaineering glasses. It’s all about the coatings.

Of course in bright sun you are better with glasses which block at leat 85 % of the visible light.

More info? check out the smmith sunglasses site. the make clear lenses blocking 100% of uv a/b/c light

Polarized sunglasses
I often use them for paddling but not for much else. Under some circumstances, polarization can adversely affect depth perception. I’ve also found that it makes many surfaces appear unnatural to the point of being distracting. Moving pavement under a bicycle wheel is one of those circumstances. Polarization can also interfere with reading LCD screens, such as those on bike computers and GPS units. At certain angles, the screen goes black.

polarization
I have the oakley black iridium polarized lenses, and they are wonderful. They transmit no more light than the regular black iridium lenses.

Without polarization, the glare at 7,000 feet of elevation, where I regularly paddle, definitely causes blinding headaches.

-merlin

Sealed goggles…
…will always either fog up or condense and drip, depending on whether you coat the lenses or not. Except for underwater use, you need ventilation.

rec specs

Just saw your reply to my rec specs post and I

thought that since so much time had elapsed, I’d

get back to you via email.

They do fog, but then nearly every pair of

glasses will.

But understand that these are not like swimming

goggles, so they do not fog any worse than regular glasses.

I got some anti-fog “stuff” from my optometrist.

It’s called, “Fog Buster,” made by Shield Lenscare;

33 West Bacon St, Plainville, Ma 02762. It

comes in a pump-spray bottle. I’ve tried many

anti-fog preps and this stuff is so far the best.

Ahh. Wrong button alert…
…I resent it email.