Super stable kayak recommendations

Eddyline Equinox. Not super fast, of course, but fast enough for someone who values stability over speed. Turns on a dime, and great primary and secondary stability whether fully loaded with camping gear or just me out there paddling around on a lake.

1 Like

Does anyone read posts before they reply? The OP told us they got a Pungo 120 several posts ago.
Or are a bunch of people immediately responding at once to initial posts?

1 Like

Obviously some donā€™t. Which is a shame since there can be lots to learn reading all the responses to a thread.

4 Likes

I have chosen the wilderness systems pungo 120. Very stable, if somewhat sluggish in the water. But fine for now. Lots of neat things like a sealed hatch with locking levers, and a work station that clicks onto the front of the cockpit. Work station has a removable drybox that is big enough for a wallet, cellphone, sunglasses and a sandwich. Huge cockpit, easier to get into and out of without too much contorting. Footpegs are on a rail system, seem sturdy enough. All in all, a fine kayak.

1 Like

I believe the Pungo 120 still is not made with a bow bulkhead (meaning the front section of the hull is not sealed off from the cockpit.) This means that an inflatable flotation bag is a necessary safety accessory for the boat. If you donā€™t fill that cavity with buoyancy it can fill with water if you capsize or get swamped with a wave and the bow will sink and you will be unable to get back into the boat out on the water.

Most touring kayaks have fore and aft sealed bulkheads while most recreational style smaller kayaks do not. You donā€™t want to be this guy (thatā€™s a Pungo 120 heā€™s sinking in). A bit of a drama queen but look at the 44 second point and youā€™ll see how the bow sinks when it fills with water.

Excellent video (in spite of the drama queen) demonstrating why to only buy a kayak with fore and aft inherent flotation/compartments.

Actually, I own 4 kayaks with no ā€œinherent flotation compartmentsā€. They are all skin-on-frame (3 of them are folding kayaks and one is a traditional Greenland Eskimo wood framed hunting kayak). I place inflated flotation bags in both the bow and stern of these boats when I take them out.

So the lack of bulkheads can be overcome, you just have to account for that and provide what is needed for safety.

I remember the Corona! When I was searching for my first kayak I went to a demo and I got to paddle one. It was NOT a beginner boat. No primary stability whatsoever.

Enjoy your new boat.

13ā€™ Boston Whaler

1 Like

Your welcome. Sorry about the mix up. My bad. But I still donā€™t get your point. You can have more then one kayak or 1 type of kayak. I own several for several different reasons and I donā€™t see why youā€™d take umbrage to my post. Seems like everyone on this site is like this. No wonder Iā€™d rather kayak alone.

Definitely go for a sit-on-top fishing kayak. Thatā€™s my second boat and sheā€™s just great for casual lake and stream. The only time youā€™re ā€œgoing overā€ in that is if there are white caps you get into, and then a fishing kayak flips over faster than a flapjack on a hot grill with big spatula.Trust meā€¦ Iā€™m still drying my pants.

1 Like

From the original poster on May 26, ā€œSo I ask you, kayakers of the forum, what(not a sit on top) is a great, fast, STABLE kayak?ā€

And, on May 27, "But they did have a freshly unwrapped ā€¦
2020 wilderness systems pungo 120!
I brought it home after testing it out. Itā€™s plenty stable".

I give up. :scream:

1 Like

You just got caught in the cross-fire. Hope she can find some tranquility on the water.

2 Likes

Somewhere in here I would love to know how Darren is doing with the Pungo.

Hey all, Iā€™ve been building a barn for my wife. (For her horses) have only been kayaking a few times, but I had fun Everytime so far. Good kayak. Kinda wish I had kept the Corona as well, it was zippy. And tippy.

1 Like

Glad to hear it, Darren. We have horses as well, so I know they can take up a substantial amount of time. Donā€™t sweat the other boat, there will be tons of options when youā€™re ready for the next one.

High_desert, hey. You have horses? A bit off topic, butā€¦ How close is your barn to your house? Weā€™re 100 feet apart but Iā€™m concerned about horse flies.

Glad to hear from you Darren.

Have you considered using disposable fly traps? One can last several weeks and they help protect the horses and you. Seems they are a pretty effective low tech solution.

Disposable fly traps. Thanks for the tip! They are now on the list

Darren, ours is about 300 feet from the house. We donā€™t have a ton of horse flies around here so they havenā€™t been a problem. House flies are always a pain, but they prefer the chicken coop/area over the horse areas.