supporting local commerce

Simple indeed
"It’s simple: if you want a shop to stay around (“local” or not so local) patronize it. If you don’t care, then don’t."

Right on.

I would go so far to say some of the people don’t shop at the local shop precisely because they don’t care if the shop stay around or not anyway.

Some paddlers don’t need much. Others don’t find what they need in their local shop. Either way, they don’t see the value of the local shop. It’s a hard sell to say “shop locally” when the local shop doesn’t offer any local values.

There’s a shop within 10 miles of where I live. They don’t have ANYTHING I would need. Consequently, I couldn’t care less if they stay around or go under. But I still shop “locally” nonetheless: my “local” shop is about 30 miles away. To avoid unneccessary driving, I sometimes make plan to paddle where the shop is located so I can paddle and shop in one single trip.

balancing act
Guess it’s a balancing act. I work in construction with some fiercely long and crazy hours… so the smaller shops don’t keep the hours I need to go there. Not a criticism, just a fact. OTOH I agree that if we all always got everything online and/or from the bigbox stores, we’d soon have fewer and (maybe) less expert and friendlier options. That would hurt the local economy and us in the long run.

So here’s my dividing line:

If I need advice, fitting, or different solution options I will make a real effort, despite time constraints, to go local and, if the service is genuine and useful, I will buy there. Sometimes I will buy more than I originally intended to build rapport and reward the good service.

Caveat: if I call a local shop ahead before I go there with some questions and get brushed off or patronized as some dumb chick - then tough luck -my biz goes elsewhere.

If it’s something simple, generic or a replica of what I already have or something I just can’t get locally in my preferred size, dimension, material or color then I will buy it online to get exactly what I want shipped to me.

Also love eBay and dealing with individual sellers and a few powersellers in over 280 successful transactions in 2.5 years. I research item specs, ePinions and other consumer sources, Google products, check feedback, then go for it. Use PayPal and it comes to my door, new or used, strange or common.

I think that is the ultimate freedom. Many pleasant transactions for camping equipment in Michigan to pearls from China :wink: Pretty cool that anyone can be a seller or buyer and make a deal free of layers of government and retail, local or national.

…here’s an excerpt from the beginning:

– Last Updated: Sep-20-06 4:20 PM EST –

"...knowing the shop is well-informed, well-stocked, interested, contributing to the community, and visible and accountable."

I think that is what you're talking about. Once again for clarity though, assuming the store has the goods you're looking for...because it's kind of a moot point if they don't. Personally, I don't tend to shop where I know I can't find what I'm looking for.

Fact is, there are real as well as intangible benefits to your community and to both the buyer and seller if there is the opportunity to work together (if they stock what you need at a price you think is fair). No one was giving an order, an imperative, a guilt trip, or asking you to compromise your standards, so please don't take it as such.

that’s the way
You don’t have to give anyone your business, they have to earn it. Helps weed out the field.

Where are you in SE mi? There are one or two good kayak shops down there…

GOOD shop vs. local shop
If the shop is providing good product and good service, why would any one even THINK about shopping elsewhere?

Argh, yes, the “higher” price.

We’re getting into a gray area. It really depends on how much higher. 10-15% of a $20 item (paddle-float, strobe…). No one would even think twice about going elsewhere. But what about a $400 carbon paddle that you can get for $300 somewhere else?

My favorate shop doesn’t get upset if I tell them there’s another boat for sale for a lot less in another shop. They might even offer to match the price. Even if they can’t for whatever reason, they just know I’ll shop with them for everything else anyway. If I stick with paddling, that is.

The truth is, they carry some of the best stuff. After a while, we learn it’s best to get the stuff from that shop, even if it cost a bit more. Or get a cheaper version somewhere else, and ended up having it breaking or not working as well. And guess what? We ended up buying from them after all. In fact, it’s better to buy from them in the first time so we don’t ended up paying twice!

The benefit to the local community and such. Sure, that’s the side benefit. But really, I don’t go shopping for the sole purpose of supporting the local economy.

howdy
Live near Ann Arbor in a beautiful rural township. Lots of lakes and rivers with 45 minutes in any direction.

Went to two Thursday night demos at Sun n Snow (Ann Arbor).Got my tie downs and some miscellania at REI in Northville. Talked to Kayak Corral in Saline but they didn’t have the Hurricane Aqua Sports Tampico S I wanted to demo (Sun n Snow did). Took lessons at Quiet World in Jackson. Bought a paddle there, too. PFD from Dunham’s Sporting Goods Ann Arbor.

Got my TampicoS at Kayaks at the Zoo in Kalamazoo.

All good folks, great service.

BTW I steered more enthusiastic people to Sun n Snow to buy Hurricane Aqua Sports kayaks, and to Quiet World for lessons, so I think they did more business. Everytime I take my pretty yellow TampicoS out, I’m a floating advertisement for both… meet the friendliest people who want to get into kayaking.

Tried to spread the dollars around :wink:

nice area
Hey -

Used to live on Baseline Lake off the chain of lakes (portage, strawberry) near Dexter. Sun n Snow are good and they have a great spring and fall swap (their ski swaps aren’t bad either). Heard good things about quiet world but never made it out there.

There’s a shop in Wyandotte, Riverside Kayak connection, that has a nice stock and helpful people, offering weekend day trips and lessons. Add to that the liveries and other groups and that area has a lot to offer.

If you ever need a new venue try Island Lake or Kensington Metropark (if you haven’t already). If you go to north kensington and launch at thepetting farm there is a nice smaller lake with lots of solitude and some decent birding.

Happy paddling!

Kent Lake is great
It’s my favorite nearby lake. I’ve been there every week for the last 4-5 weeks.

Thanks for the tip about the Wyandotte outfitter.

Base Line — that’s 8 Mile Road in the D (the 313) I work in Detroit. People ask me all the time if I kayak the Detroit River but my suicidal urges are not cranked that high - yet.

detroit river
Yeesh. Actually not too bad. Biggest problem are powerboats.

There is a nice marsh paddle up by harsen’s island on the north end of lake st. clair. Also, the wyandotte shop I mentioned does a lot of trips, some to this area and some downriver leaving from wyandotte.

I think it’s a great area too
I grew up out on Strawberry Lake road.

As far as local paddling shops go. Nothing in the area compares to what Canoe Sport used to be before it got sold to Sun and Snow. They were on N. Main in Ann Arbor on the river so you could demo all the time. My brother-in-law and a couple friends used to work there back in the day. They sold something like 3-4 thousand boats a year. Had tons in stock. Now there is a wall with a few boats on it and they share space with ski/swim stuff.

ah, canoe sport
That was a good shop.

Do you remember Raupp and Wilderness outfitters? Also good places and long gone.