Surf Entry

thanks falcon!
Those are great pics and I actually am using one for my computer wallpaper right now. Those are some really nice and clean looking waves. I wish I had those types of waves around here as they look nice as surfable. On Lake Michigan it seems that the waves dump more and come in quick sets of three or four waves.

yep
those are called ‘close out’ or ‘dumper’ waves. they roll in (dark swell in the background) and dump quickly. You really have no choice but to take your medicine.

This spot isn’t all that great for ‘surfing’ until it gets up to 3-5’. if you look at the top of the pic you see A-jetty. The swell from the ocean has to wrap around this jetty before it travels to Sand Is. to get a 5’ day @ sand requires a 12-15’ day at sea.

steve

Wind swell vs "ground swell"
I feel your pain I was tryingt o surf wind swell yesterday morning.

That’s why surfing was invented in Hawaii not Sheboygan, not enough fetch, and then not enough long distance for 50’ storm waves to average into smaller but long period swells. I have seen some pretty cool waves from Lakes Michigan and Superior though. I was on the western shore of lake Michigan when huge waves were coming in under ice and making the melting ice roll like a carpet, then shooting pieces of the ice sheet up on the beach, it was really violent, scary and fascinating all at the same time.

lol, yeah but we can’t all live there!
I haven’t kayaked Sheboygen yet although I hear the waves aren’t too bad for an non-ocean beach. I have been out to Two Rivers a couple times and had fun. I need to get out there more as I am basically a complete rookie in terms of surfing and currently can only manage to side surf to shore.