Surfing with traditional paddles.

Some of my bigstuff footage …
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJyX-nJk–s

Trust me I’m not jealous of knee slappers in a seakayak.

Real (non wannabe ) Traditionalists
http://www.wetsand.com/video/52410/Time+Traveling+Surf+Session+in+Peru/

Way Cool…!
Many thanks for that…

Nice…
of course, it helps to get several of the top women pros to give it go. :wink:

sing

Added a New Lumpy…
to the crankset just recently. The loom and shoulders feel absolutely perfect.

(Bill doesn’t charge enough for his paddles)

Now for some Food Lion triple chocolate yogurt for fuel.

Lumpy paddles
get lots of praise from the instructors I’ve met.

Mine were made by Tom Froese (the one piece horizontal laminate in WRC) and Ed Drieger (two piece in three woods) his shop is Talon Woodworks)

Both paddlemakers are in North Ontario Bay. They, like Don Beal (sp)will really consult w. you on your preferences.

I bet I’d paddle faster w. Triple Chocolate Frozen Yogurt '-)

could we please see
some comparison?

Apples with apples, not oranges.

While I do admit that my SEA KAYAK surfing (5.3 m touring kayak) is lame compared to some world class paddlers (of the same craft) I don’t see a lot of TRADITIONAL paddles used for surfing.

Not saying that traditional paddles are better than Euro style, it’s just that often they are laughed at and not considered suitable for conditions (read: assumed good only for flat water).

have
a traditional paddle that I made just for surf.

wider and real strong!!!

(Not ALL Greenland paddles are the same size and don’t really have to conform to much other than intended use)

Best Wishes

Roy

Here You Go…

– Last Updated: Aug-08-10 8:50 PM EST –

me eight years ago (before I decided surf paddling could be far more enjoyable, IMO, in a surf specific design craft and equipment).

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/1140618303043300790Qhjmug

We were surfing an early season nor'easter with building 5-6' (chest to head) waves. So, I was surfing with narrow boat and a stick. No big deal. My buddy blew his roll, came out of his boat and got hit by another wave half way out of the boat. He blew his knee out and was out of it for a year. That was a big deal.

sing

friendlyfire, I have no use
I no longer have a use for the Werners.

I have been hanging onto them for over year now and have never used them again.

While I did take one as an emergency spare with me on trips because would fit nicely on the deck (front of rear) now I have made a two-piece Aleut one and that’s my spare paddle.

I use Greenland paddles for rolling, Aleut for cruising/surfing.

Euros feel odd now.

The Werners are gathering dust… :slight_smile:

Greenland paddles are okay
I surf in sea kayaks with a Greenland paddle, and acknowedge that the smaller blade area of a GP is not the best when there is only time for a single stroke to effect a big change in direction or speed.

However, the best paddle is one that we are most comfortable using. Since almost all my paddling is with a Greenland paddle, I would have more problems if I tried to switch just for surfing.

No problems with breakage personally, but a friend did break his GP. Most of my paddles have shafts that are laminated 1 1/4" by 1 1/2" western red cedar or other lightweight wood.

John