Surfing

I have similar problems with my Cetus
The boat by virtue of its design has your body weight forward. This, combined with my seat move forward to give me clearance on laybacks has resulted in some even worse behavior. The skeg design could be greatly improved (less fin more skeg, and stiffer). I can practically read the evening paper in my Aquanaut in a following sea , where the Cetus it truely a handful. I like so much about the Cetus, what little I don’t like is pretty high in intensity. I will try leaning forward as suggested in this post. What have I got to lose. I am no expert, not even close, and I have not seen the surf that most here have, but I know what feels better and which boats give it to me. I would love to try a new skeg. Who do I contact? Actually, maybe I will make my own. Bill

Now that I think on it, 1/3 deployment
of the fin actually gives you the look of a skeg. You end up keeping the cavitation and flex to a minumum as the trailing edge is still in the skeg box. I might try laminating my fin with epoxy and carbon mat to get more of a skeg shape while tying the line a little tighter to limit the deployment. In this method I can still use the mechanism as designed. If someone hears of a new skeg that can be used in the current mechanism, please post it. Bill

In theory…

– Last Updated: Mar-23-09 1:32 PM EST –

the fin-type skeg P&H is using ought to be more efficient, it has an airfoil cross section for less turbulance and bites deeper into the water. I've never read any claims that the flat triangle kinds are better.

Probably, the skeg is just too small, or else the boat is just never going to perform well in such conditions no matter what you do. I'd be leaning towards the latter, just looking at the boat in the showroom it looks like an awful lot to handle. A lot of vertical surface in that bow which will dig in when running with waves, sort of like a forward skeg.

Mike

Surfing
Bill, contact P+H kayaks, Google them and follow the links, I have!

The skeg is for sure the problem, its wimpy at best, and I let P+H know. I’ve gone out in some stiff following wind/waves, the boat requires a very aggressive lean back with stern rudder, and then it jumps over to the other side/direction, its a hand full for sure.

New skegs?
Do you know if P&H is planning on making these newer designed skegs available through their dealers or will it be something one will have to try to chase down on their own working directly with P&H?

I don’t know, but whoever finds out 1st
needs to post it here. I sometimes wonder if P&H is reading this and if they are they certainly have the chance to be proactive and reach out. On the other hand, they may be reading this and shaking their heads in disgust. Nothing quite as valuable as a happy customer. Bill

CETUS/SKEG
P+H e-mailed me, they are in the process of finding new material for the skeg, making it stiffer. Pat from P+H stated to contact them in about 4-5 weeks.

Somebody during the sea trial sure dropped the ball, this should have been caught early on with the prototype boats.

Same size

– Last Updated: Mar-26-09 10:25 PM EST –

I assume, given the skeg box constraint. The current plastic is a little whippy, no doubt, but it doesn't seem like more than an minor incremental improvement can be expected. Certainly they are willing to try it, because there isn't much of any low-$ alternative.

Mike